Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ride Anything
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem:

Aftermarket risers have standard 1/2 x 13 or 1/2 x 20 threads. The VRod uses a metric 10 x 1.5 x 50 for the riser. The hole in the tree is only 10mm wide so a 1/2 bolt will not fit through to connect an aftermarket riser.

I've seen some Honda, Yamaha, Kawi, Susuki metric to standard riser bolt adapters (for the same issue) but none of these are the correct size.

Does anyone know where I could get a 1/2 x 13 (or 20) to 10 x 1.5 2 inch to 2 1/4 inch long bolt/stud?

Has anyone just drilled the hole in the tree out to 1/2? Would there be any problems with drilling it out if I can't find the right bolt?

Is there any other way around this that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks,
JB

·
Dominus Violatus
208 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
A drill and proper sized drill bit worked for me.You can open the hole upin the trees with no problem.Have had T-bars on mine for 3.5 years and they are tight and secure as the day I installed them.

·
The Hawk
3,805 Posts
Easiest fix is to drill the top tree out to 1/2". Easy to do and works like a charm.

Mike

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
I drilled mine out. Just make sure that you run the drillbit perfectly straight through the hole or you might not be able to thread the bolt into the bars.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I'd put duct tape around the frame and steering head just in case you slip with the drill. When I changed risers on my R I taped all around just in case I banged something with the wrench. I recall it was pretty tight, at least on the R.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
as was said already.... just drill out the stock triple tree and run with it! very easy to do and makes your bar selection endless

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
BRITT76 said:
Q1: are the riser sizes above typical for the 07 DX?

Q2: i am looking for FLUSH mounted riser bolts - is there such a thing or should i 'sink' the riser bolts?

the triple tree is the same on all the rods except the "R" so your method and bolts will all be the same size.

I personally wouldnt counter sink the bolts because it take away from precious metal that holds the weight of you and the bars. Besides, the light pretty much hides the bolts doesnt it? However if you must do it, just counter sink the triple from the bottom a little bit, just enought to hide the head of the bolt

·
The Hawk
3,805 Posts
1. Don't know that one.

2. You may be able to find some round headed allen bolts that would show less, but I definately would not sink any bolt into the tree as it would weaken the handle bar attachement considerably.

Mike

·
Ride Anything
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the suggestions. I got them drilled out with no problem and the risers and bars installed.

JB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I got them drilled out with no problem and the risers and bars installed.

JB
I thought of the same drilling, BUT i figured i ask the experts HD master mech. He advised not to do this because you lose the integrity of the triple tree. No offence to all those that answer that ok to drill, its a big possibility that the triple tree becomes weakened by the drilling. Can someone with experience please answer this.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I thought of the same drilling, BUT i figured i ask the experts HD master mech. He advised not to do this because you lose the integrity of the triple tree. No offence to all those that answer that ok to drill, its a big possibility that the triple tree becomes weakened by the drilling. Can someone with experience please answer this.
Going from about 3/8 to 1/2 won't compromise it much. You are only removing about .054 per side or .107" bigger hole then it is now.
Ron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts