Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Hawk
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding a 2002 1130cc engine that has pistons with this part number on them 22116-01k and the top ring groove is .039". I ordered rings from my local harley dealer and got them in yesterday, then began the install, the rings the dealer said would fit and ordered are part number 21910-06k. The oil control ring and the second compression ring fit just fine but the top ring is way off, it measures .047". I've spent a couple hours searching for a source for correct part numbers to no avail and I would hate to have to order the complete sleeve, piston and ring setup from my local dealer as he sells at MSRP prices. Surdyke may have it but not sure at this point. Did the top ring specs change for the later 1130"s?
Does anyone have the correct part number for the .039" rings? Or, does anyone have the sleeve, piston, rings setup they need to get rid of?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I'm rebuilding a 2002 1130cc engine that has pistons with this part number on them 22116-01k and the top ring groove is .039". I ordered rings from my local harley dealer and got them in yesterday, then began the install, the rings the dealer said would fit and ordered are part number 21910-06k. The oil control ring and the second compression ring fit just fine but the top ring is way off, it measures .047". I've spent a couple hours searching for a source for correct part numbers to no avail and I would hate to have to order the complete sleeve, piston and ring setup from my local dealer as he sells at MSRP prices. Surdyke may have it but not sure at this point. Did the top ring specs change for the later 1130"s?
Does anyone have the correct part number for the .039" rings? Or, does anyone have the sleeve, piston, rings setup they need to get rid of?

Thanks,

Mike
The current parts catalogs list P/N 22927-01K as the only source for rings for the 2002 to 2005 1130 cc VRSC engines. This P/N is for pistons and rings. (The original 2002 ring kit P/N was 21910-01K.)

P/N 21910-06K is listed as a ring kit for use on 2006 and 2007 VRSC 1130cc engines.

It could be that HD no longer stocks the rings for the early pistons, so you're forced to buy the newer pistons and rings.

·
The Hawk
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Made another trip to the dealer and they could only find a complete sleeve, piston, rings setup on the new site they use for all the old parts they no longer carry, and it was really expensive, running $287 per cylinder. I ended up buying a stock size performance 12:1 compression setup on ebay with pistons and rings for $271.

·
The Hawk
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well crap, got an email today from eBay, the seller cancelled my buy and refunded the funds. I’m back in the hunt for rings for an 02 1130 engine with the 1 mm top ring groove, or a newer complete ring and piston set for the 1130 engine. If anyone has a set in very interested!

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
The Hawk
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, there was a ring change in the 1130s. Early top rings were narrower then the revision rings.
Ron
Yes, the 02 to 05 pistons have a top ring width of 1 mm or .0393" then they changed for the 06 and 07 versions to 1.2 mm or .0472".
The second compression ring and the oil control ring are the same throughout. I'm not sure why they changes, I have not heard any issues with the thinner ring but there must have been a reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.