Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rattle that sounds as if a peice of gravel is in my air box (I checked the air box nothing in it). I notice it in turns. Any ideas?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Are you running topless? Did you remove all the clips that hold the top of the airbox if you are? If not are all the clips good and tight.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
He originally thought this noise was coming from the speedo housing, right Marc? Or is this a new noise? Are you sure its in the shroud or could it be in the headlight assembly?

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Marc are you in the field right now? Race wars is Saturday. Come over and we'll pull it apart Saturday morning before we go...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Max said:
Are you running topless? Did you remove all the clips that hold the top of the airbox if you are? If not are all the clips good and tight.
:them:
It doesnt take much to pop them right off

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not the same sound

Its not the same sound as the speedo was making. I could swear its coming from the air box some where. I pulled it all apart and didn't find anything unusual though. Also there are rubber grommets olonf the edge of the air box where it meets the frame. How many should there be?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha Ha

Its definately not coming from inside my helmet a lost all the loose and the extra parts in there years ago!:dance:

·
Registered
146 Posts
there are two rubber grommets that the front of the air box slide into. If one of them in missing it makes sense that the tab will rattle around. Also when your putting your air box back on it is easy to not get both tabs in to the holes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
air ox

Yes I took the air box cover, top of the air box and the air cleaner out to check every thing out. Why?

·
Registered
322 Posts
wilsomw said:
Also there are rubber grommets olonf the edge of the air box where it meets the frame. How many should there be?
The flat rubber pads?

My '07 DX has 2 (one on each side). I've found they're almost worthless as the cover was "tweaked" and rattled against the top of the frame. I since "retweaked" the cover and the rear moutning tab and it has gone away.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
I had a noise similar to what your talking bout and it sounded like it was coming from the airbox (I swore it was) but it ended up being my heat sheilds on the exhaust were loose. it seriously sounded as if it was coming from the airbox, I felt stupid when I noticed the little screws loose on the heat sheilds.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Aha! Very glad you posted that!

·
John
2,700 Posts
Another possibility are rocks in the radiator housing. They collect in the bottom and move around in turns and bumps etc..

The sound they make seems to come from the airbox.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
wilsomw said:
Yes I took the air box cover, top of the air box and the air cleaner out to check every thing out. Why?

I mean are you running "topless" If you are, did you remove the 7 little clips that hold the top on? Like Max said, they would rattle if you don't.

If not, did you get that last little hook way up under the snorkel back in place? If not, that may rattle...

My airbox cover has 2 rubber pads on the frame, one on each side...

Check this thread:

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72430

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
lakedrunk said:
I had a noise similar to what your talking bout and it sounded like it was coming from the airbox (I swore it was) but it ended up being my heat sheilds on the exhaust were loose. it seriously sounded as if it was coming from the airbox, I felt stupid when I noticed the little screws loose on the heat sheilds.

You have loose screws... :stilpoke:

Duh...you are missing 2 heatshield screws remember? That may be it....

You can get them here.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
You have loose screws... :stilpoke:

Duh...you are missing 2 heatshield screws remember? That may be it....

You can get them here.
I didn't loose the screws, they were just loose. but that was back when I had my "cheatin" style exhaust on, I've switched back to my samsons now and don't have to worry about them little screws :D

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
lakedrunk said:
I didn't loose the screws, they were just loose. but that was back when I had my "cheatin" style exhaust on, I've switched back to my samsons now and don't have to worry about them little screws :D

Oh...sorry I was talking to wilsomw. Still can't get that darn .gif to work. says I can't upload animated...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts