Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FINALLY, I've been riding a quiet bike for too long, ofcourse I had to pick probably the hardest pipes to install on my bike. I'm sure I'd seen pictures of the rinehart staggered exhaust on a D model but could never find any real details. So here it is....

I started this whole job thinking that the stock A bracket would just need some triming and a hole drilled. NOPE. The bracket does not line up whatsoever. Also thought I would have to shim and work around the mid controls. NOPE again. They fit fine with no modifications needed in that area. Problem comes with the A bracket and the Rinehart bracket clearing the swingarm. I'm stock height for now and believe that if you are lowered, you'll probably not run into the clearing issues I did with the swingarm. I ended up cutting the whole top portion of the A bracket off and having to trim the edge from hitting the frame. Drilled two new holes which didn't line up correctly so I had to drill them out bigger to give some adjustment. After hours of work the bracket was on the bike.

Front pipe went on pretty smoothly, it's a tight fit, and once on notice that the pipe was not level. I flipped the exhaust to mount under and added washers to get it level. Once locked down, noticed the next issue. The rinehart bracket was hitting my swingarm, good thing I taped it up. :D After pondering for some time on if I could change anything to clear the swingarm, decided that, no I couldn't, and cut the edge off the bracket to clear. I will most likely replace this bracket once I lower my bike, as it should have no clearing issues once lowered.

Rear pipe went on easier then the front, much much more room, and with a few twists n taps it was in place, but, you all should no my luck by now, was not even close to meeting up with that rinehart bracket and I had no room to move it any closer with out hitting the swingarm. Few washers later I was in business, and clearing the swingarm by mms.:eek:

So as it goes, pipes are on and it's sick, whole new bike. I went semi topless with an amsoil filter and PCIII. The bike ran great, started right up with no issues. I used a Map I found on the forum and still have some testing to do, I didn't have much time to ride today. I also have a short velocity stack to try. I wanted to be able to ride with the unequal stacks, then change and ride again on the same day to get the truest feeling on things. Weight difference is huge, powerloss is minium.

Thanks to...
Holdhard-rineharts
o2man98-amsoil products
Rockerdan-information
Spaz-PCIII map

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
switch the velocity stack today and seemed way louder at idle and low rpms and almost like it was getting too much air. The idle rpm jumped up a grand or so, so that probably had a lot to do with that. I didn't see too much difference between the two other then the loudness while cruising until I switched back to the stock stack, much crisper is all I have to say, seem to run well both cruising and rolling out. I'll probably test this again once I get use to the overall changes I've done.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sup guys,
I am trying to install the rinehart 2into2 on my 07 dx. I have the -a mount bracket, but i dont have the flat piece that holds the bottom of the exhaust or the screws. Anyone know where I can get that? Also, anyone know where I can find a good gasket to use? the stocks seem to small.

·
macheteman
512 Posts
I have an 06 D that had the rinehart duels on it when I purchased it. I loved the sound but switched to a Thunderheader. The guy I purchased it from has converted it to forward controls. The bracket to mount the exhaust was home made. He used a piece of aluminum angle iron and drilled some holes in it. It was about a foot or a foot and a half long. It looked like a simple thing to me. If you had a piece of angle iron, it could be cut to length, and have the holes drilled in it in a matter of minutes. I hope this helps. The local hardware store should have some cheep. The biggest problem I had with the exhaust. I am 5 and a half feet tall. Short inseam. Every time I stopped at a light, or sigh, the rear pipe would hit me right in the calf. Never got burned but got pretty hot. Always had to sit with my right leg out at more of an angle. Loved the way they sounded. The Thunderheader is very close, but not as loud.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts