Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am getting ready to run this in molders foam just wanted to show everyone my intial design. Looking for my wheel blank to be here from All American Wheel in the next couple days.

I did 3 leaf clovers seeing I am irish and we use it in our company logo. I am thinking about seeing if anyone would be interested in a wheel similar to this. Just imagine instead of a 3 leaf clover, how bout HD bar & shield outline or the maltese cross outline.

The clovers go all the way thru the rim. The purple is the hub unit needed and the red is the brake disc adapter.

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE! Started cutting today.

Here a few pics of the rim done in modelers foam board. The black sections are thru sections and the clovers will be thru sections also. Note this is a scaled down version of the actual size.

The last pic is of the rim installed and being cut in our Hurco VMX42. :D

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gdub said:
That is sweet. Is your first post in cadd?
No its a CAD/CAM software called SmartCam.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
ohioVROD said:
No its a CAD/CAM software called SmartCam.
well then it would be in cadd then wouldnt it? LOL

we use autodesk here at work, but we are a civil engineering firm. I used to be a cadd tech before I switched to IT here.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
BTW... good looking wheel... cant wait to see it finished.. are you gonna leave it polished or send it out to be chromed?

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheatin said:
I'm pretty amazed at the talent some of you bozo's seem to have! :notworth:
Thanks Cheatin!

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VenomousSVT said:
BTW... good looking wheel... cant wait to see it finished.. are you gonna leave it polished or send it out to be chromed?
Thank you I am sending it out and having it polished and then chromed. Everything works out OK probably do my back rim this winter.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
ohioVROD said:
Thank you I am sending it out and having it polished and then chromed. Everything works out OK probably do my back rim this winter.
word!! I have done a few myself in solid works but have never bought a blank to have it machined... I usually am not creative enough to design one, i would just look at an existing wheel and try to copycat it. I would love to do a wheel but dont want to incur the price of it screwing up at the machine shop.

edit.. how much was it for just a blank?

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
OhioVROD, do you happen to know if there is quick conversion from AutoCAD drafting software over to what CAD/CAM machines use? I'm a draftsman and have the software, I could spit out wheel designs all day long in AutoCAD.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mwdhand said:
OhioVROD, do you happen to know if there is quick conversion from AutoCAD drafting software over to what CAD/CAM machines use? I'm a draftsman and have the software, I could spit out wheel designs all day long in AutoCAD.
Yes SmartCam can convert most DXF files. You still have to edit the program when its converted so most programers just draw it in CAD/CAM software to save the editing time.

Anyone wants a wheel similar to this let me know. I will have pricing once I get the chromer lined up.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
mwdhand said:
alot of machine shops around here use either solidworks or microstation. If that is the case you can convert your .dwg files to microstation or sloidworks and send it to the machine shop.. then they could cut your wheel directly from your cadd fil.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
ohioVROD said:
Yes SmartCam can convert most DXF files. You still have to edit the program when its converted so most programers just draw it in CAD/CAM software to save the editing time.

Anyone wants a wheel similar to this let me know. I will have pricing once I get the chromer lined up.
ok I have a question for ya.... once you get the pricing would you be able to price out a wheel if one of us cadd guys sent you a dxf file? Then you could cut out our wheel design.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info, I know how to use Microstation from back when I did Texas DOT drawings, but I don't have the program. My new girlfriend's dad owns a machine shop and has CAD/CAM equipment. :angeldev:

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
mwdhand said:
Cool, thanks for the info, I know how to use Microstation from back when I did Texas DOT drawings, but I don't have the program. My new girlfriend's dad owns a machine shop and has CAD/CAM equipment. :angeldev:
look like you may be in the wheel business soon enough!!:notworth:

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
VenomousSVT said:
ok I have a question for ya.... once you get the pricing would you be able to price out a wheel if one of us cadd guys sent you a dxf file? Then you could cut out our wheel design.
Yes I can do that have to get with my programer see what he would say it would take to edit your files.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
ohioVROD said:
Yes I can do that have to get with my programer see what he would say it would take to edit your files.
also if it is gonna be a PITA I can try and find a copy of a software that would be easier for him to use the file extensions... just ask him what is the preferred program the files are in, or a program that would be easiest to import..
I have access to autodesk, microstation (unfortunately),if I can find my solidworks disk I will have that again as well...

however through various connections, I may be able to get my hand on other software to use to do some designing.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Very nice rims by the way. My gears were turning thinking about making my own so much I forgot to compliment you on them.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts