Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Including a few pictures. Picked up rigid bags to restore and use on my bike. Can't find or identify the locks anywhere so far. Contacted local HD, two locksmiths who did not give any information at all and have been searching google trying to track these down. Of course they don't look like locks from other HD saddlebags. The cylinder is a plunger or push type which activates a hook. Has anyone seen any of these, know where to find them or have a set from some broken bags somewhere? Included a few pics of the locks. Last picture is the type of bag they came off of. They were the vinyl covered hard bags. Any information appreciated.

Thanks

Eddie

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Including a few pictures. Picked up rigid bags to restore and use on my bike. Can't find or identify the locks anywhere so far. Contacted local HD, two locksmiths who did not give any information at all and have been searching google trying to track these down. Of course they don't look like locks from other HD saddlebags. The cylinder is a plunger or push type which activates a hook. Has anyone seen any of these, know where to find them or have a set from some broken bags somewhere? Included a few pics of the locks. Last picture is the type of bag they came off of. They were the vinyl covered hard bags. Any information appreciated.

Thanks

Eddie
Same problem. Do you find locks?

·
Vrod for life
2 Posts
Hi guys,
Been here for long but never needed to post, learned a lot from reading experiences of everyone here, thanks guys !

From the pics above, your cylinder/plunger came out, i had this problem. I also search that replacement (dealers, locksmith...) could not find anything. If you still have your cylinder may be you can fix it like I did.

I m not sure if still have pics of that so... if I remember ...
On the outside of the cylinder/plunger (somewhere around) is a small hole where should be in a brass pin pushed out by a small Spring (from under that pin) , your missing the spring and the pin or that pin seems to get shorter with usage and the tolerance must not be much so its not holding the cylinder in position anymore.

I managed to find a small spring and made a new pin, shortening the spring and pin until it fits. Rounded a bit the top edge of the pin. Hold the pin and spring in the hole while sliding the cylinder back into place. The lenght of that pin was small like maybe 3/16 or less ... patience... :) it is easy to drop/loose the pin and or spring while F...idling around with it !
Now i put a bit of wd40 around/inside the cylinders/plungers at tune up, don t want to repeat the F...idling around.

Good luck !
Bob

·
Vrod for life
2 Posts
Oups !
I stumbled on the pictures of this fix, I remembered... but mixing two similar fixes together ! Brass pin and spring was not on this fix, my bad.

This pin is a roled metal sheet that fits tightly, comes loose with frictions and key turns. That s what is keeping the cylinder in place and allows the push. The pin was still in the bag. I enlarged the pin a little, forced it back in. Did not had any epoxy or superglue so just put a piece of tape around to hold it. Maybe a screw could be used. The wd40 or grease helps smooth the frictions. Also put a tape around the other one.
1B141237-8D4A-47C7-B454-2248DCA84017.jpeg 1E70B966-3198-4C07-92C4-66B6AE61EDC4.jpeg BF824D69-5ADB-4A85-BD71-FB1538CD5C97.jpeg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts