Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else here has a problem with your riding suit scratching up the finish on the frame? My habit on other bikes is to grip the tank lightly with my knees when cornering. On this bike I end up grippinig the frame. Doing so rubs the powdercoat and leaves marks. For the time being I cut a neoprene tank bag pad in half and found a way to zip tie it on so the zip ties are hidden. It isn't totally unattractive but I am wondering if better ways to save the finish are out there. I am temped to have the local upholstery shop make a nice custom black vinyl cover lined with fur or something.

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
don't be surprised if this thread is moved to the mens lounge
All this talk of wrapping your legs tightly and fur lined......

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same problem. waxed the heck out of the area, wore softer jeans or leather, and just relaxed the grip alittle.
Yeah, your right this does sound bad. Why do I have the urge to go put a tinkerbell sticker on my R?

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found a clear product like the Tankslapper at a local automotive paint supply store. $49 for a seven foot roll of 4 inch wide transparent film from 3M. Not inexpensive! I'll let you know how it works.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I applied the clear film per the instructions and it works as advertised. I had to cut two pieces for each side to accomdate the bend in the frame tube, and then these pieces had to be trimmed where they met to eliminate any gaps or overlap. It took an hour and a half to trim the film and apply it with alcohol and water, smooth out the bubbles, ect.

·
Deputy Rally Rouser
1,795 Posts
Philthy--I don't buy it. I think that you just made this whole thing up, just so you could use the word "abrade" in a thread and look smarter'n us'ns...

:stilpoke:

:)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
To clarify for those of us who aren't very "big word" savy like myself.

a-brade [uh-breyed] Verb,
1. to wear off or down by scraping or rubbing.
2. to scrape off.

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
I've been looking at doing this, too. I'm leary of sticking anything with adhesive on my bike, though. I've been leaning towards the tankslapper stuff.

It's not just on the frame, it's also on the rear of the air box cover.

Edited

1 - 9 of 9 Posts