Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have (2) V Rod problems - I am "vertically challenged", and also have experienced the "buffeting" on the interstate. Can't do anything about my height, and pretty much agree that the "buffeting" may be less of an issue after I get more "seat time".

Here's what I'd like to know - I have installed the reduced reach controls kit, a WIllie G seat and also the reduced reach bars.

After a very brief ride on a Bourgett "chopper" today, I noticed that this long & low bike had drag bars that made me "lean" forward more than I do on the V Rod.

Is it possible that the "reduced reach" V Rod bars (that allow me to sit way back) are contributing to "unloading" or making the steering or front end/wheel feel lighter (as in the "buffeting" thing) ???

It appears many of you have drag bars, can leaning forward on these bars put more weight on the front wheel making the front end more stable ???

I'd appreciate any advice on the above, thanks,

EE

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
EE, obviously I'm no expert, but I sure do like to lean forward when I'm going fast. It feels more stable and it gets my head down behind my supersport.

I sure need a little longer road or maybe just some cojones. I can get it up to 110 on one stretch by my house, but run out of road before I can take it higher - leaning forward the whole way. I like to lean forward in the fast, tight twisties, too.

·
Ride on!
267 Posts
I recently installed the Superbrace and seen a big difference. Last year even a minivan or suv would move me around. Now it seems like a normal bike, it still moves me around some behind large trucks. I'm 5'8" so I do lean forward a little but not a whole lot. You can check them out at http://www.superbrace.com/ I like it, others may have different opinions.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Check Out the KOSMAN MID-CONTROLS www.kosman.net call Sandy and Tell him I referred You!It will change Your Life and the Way you Ride! :thumb:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just have Rowe Machine or Steve at V-Mod machine slots in your stock wheels and stop the buffeting problem. Smooth ride no worries no surprises. Roweperformance.com is the web site I believe. You either live with a problem or correct it, I prefer to correct them. Bruce Helland :thumb:

·
Registered
66 Posts
eerod.hi.i am only 5-6.i put on foward postion seat and red. reach controls.i later returned to the stock seat due to pressure on my tailbone.in my humble opinion after only 1600 miles on my 03 v-rod,moving slightly forward or back wont make the difference.its just something to live with if youve got solid wheels and your behind a big rig.just go with the flow.j.m.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The buffeting thing wasn't an issue after a few thousand miles - for me anyway. I don't even notice it anymore and I ride straight and true no matter what the wind conditions are.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
After a 120 mile ride in 30-40 mph winds yesterday, riding with a bunch of "traditional" HD's (none with solid wheels), I didn't have any more problems than they did. Head on into the wind is worse than a strong cross wind, it seems. But I never had any worries. I still think the "buffeting" thing has little to do with the wheels and a lot to do with riding experience. J.M said it well - go with the flow.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Daniii said:
I still think the "buffeting" thing has little to do with the wheels and a lot to do with riding experience. J.M said it well - go with the flow.
I gotta agree. When I first got this bike, I was surprised a couple of times by cross winds on bridges, passing trucks, etc. But now, I've put 30,000 miles behind me on this bike in almost all kinds of conditions except heavy snow and I just plain don't find it to be an issue. I will say, however, that it probably took me until 2000 miles or so to really get used to it.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Same here. seems to get better over time. Also, I noticed it seemed to improve after I put on the windvest. Although, from bicycle racing experience I know that having all the weight off the front wheel is bad. After i put on some drag bars I might be able to offer more input on this.
Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts