Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so far I've seen the threads dealing with parts for the bike (except for the goggles), what about "parts" for the rider?

Any suggestions for both Textile and Leather jackets? Convertible preferably.....

Juan :biker:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
The good thing about those Joe Rocket tectile jackets is their pretty cool when it's hot.The bad is they Melt into your skin when you crash require serious Hospital care!:eek: I have a good freind scared for life because his jacket melted into his skin.!If I'm not in full leathers"My Elf Suit" on the rare occation I have a very trick Vanson Leather racing Jacket with built in Body Armor!:D I always were Boots ,racing gloves,and a Full face top of the line Arai helmet. :cool:

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a vintage Langlitz I got from my dad (bought it originally in the 50's I'm told) which is great but its too warm most times around here (Florida).

Ditto on the boots and gloves, I wear a 3/4 helmet. On my race car, full nomex (5 layer OMP - read very hot) ... Don't want to burn my flesh!

I'll check the Vanson leather one. Thanks, Juan

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Juan,
they do make a couple Perforated ones that are pretty cool once you get going!:cool:

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Kaz,

Thanks for the info on the Joe Rocket jackets. I am in Hawaii, and it is hot here like 70% of the time. I had been looking at these and thinking that th ejaclet would be a good addition to the cycle wear I have, but after seeing that post, forget it. So, I am still looking for something that will protect and is comfortable for temperatures that hover in the high 80's with humidity.

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same here Rich. Looks like the perforated Vanson's could be the thing to get. I'll check and post back.

Aloha, Juan

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
Oh Rich, That sounds like a tall order indeed .............good luck my friend! Eric:confused: :2cents

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Perforated Leather is only Bad when your not moving so never Stop!It's actually very cool if you ware another layer"T-shirt" and get a light sweat going. :cool:

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Yea, but what do you do when it is 28F (like this morning). I have this "Michelin Man" hooded jacket that is perfect (looks like crap, but hey). The zip on ear piece for my 1/2 helmet, a flip up face shield, gloves with liners and leather chaps. No problems. You either ride or not.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
ok, how about 104 in the shade. That sun turns leather into molten metal. Kaz, in Vegas you know what I mean.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I ware my leathers year round! In the summer 120 degrees out at my favorite spot by the lake!:eek: Cool shirt underneath in the summer.Thurmal turtle neck in the winter!:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
I have the HD Competition model leather jacket and absolutely love it. Lately I wear it and a long sleeve T-shirt along with jeans and my HD leather gloves and the temp has been in the 30's. It has a great built in neck wrap.

This is the same jacket that I wore down to the 100th when it was 80 - 90 and as long as I was moving and had the vents open I was totally comfortable.

Great versatility. My dad has the same one and he likes it too.

Ken

Look around they have been on close-out at alot of dealers. I got mine on e-bay for $235 and this goes for $500 at the stealer.

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
HD Jacket here also...it's pretty awesome, and even at 45-50 degrees or so I don't need the liner.

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
I like Vanson, HD, Aerostich, Joe Rocket jackets. I really do not care abut the brand. Just about safety really. Three kids and wife. Otherwise I would ride with only a T-Shirt. It's HOT here, man.
I also like this thread.
If possible post not just the brands but also model names and/or numbers. I want body armor personally. In winter a lot of people just do not go out, what about concentrating on HOT weather riding a little. Plus, we ride year round. We need AIRflow.

Hey, Juan, you know what I am talking about. Are you trying the Stealth [aka Perforated Corsair]?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just ordered an Aerostich Roadcrafter 1 piece Cordura/GoreTex suit. Should be here next week. Got the optional hip and back pads. They claim it's comfortable up to 80's with vents open. I assume that means when you're moving!

Will let you know how it does in temperatures around 30 to 40 degrees that we have here around Washington, DC.

For me, if the suit can block the wind completely, I can stay pretty warm.

Also, I have the Gericke Highway Jacket. I got it really cheap and it works great. I includes shoulder and elbow armor as well as a back pad. Excellent ventilation, built in neck warmer, and zip out lining. The belt was a bit of a pain so I wear the jacket without it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've got the First Gear scout. It's been great! Vented, and a removable liner!

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Is the Aero-Stitch made of the nylon mesh and cordura material? I have been down a few times, not with major road rash, but enough to know that what is over the skin when the surface is hit will either hlod to a degree, such as leather, or get eaten up and burn its way into your skin.

The heat factor riding in the tropics is a real bear. Sitting in 88 or 89 degree heat, in traffic on blacktop, the bottom of the boots on the ground make the balls of the feet hot. So the skin in the sunlight is frying, and with the motor temperature doing its thing to the skin, it makes you feel like the fried egg comercial (the one that shows the egg on drugs when its fryin in the pan).

MCSRC says to stay hydrated, and when riding in Hawaii on those hot days, you ain't drinkin beer....GATORAIDE!

So trying to find the right gear is tough. I ride in shorts, low top combat boots and a pullover shirt. Trying to wear leathers is nuts in the heat, levis are almost as nuts, and the short trip, well thats even crazier, but I ain't frying doing it. I also wear gloves, as I learned that flying debris hurts like hell, and a 3/4 helmet with face shield, as the road grime stinks.

So if anyone can point out something or a technique (water on the shirt, wear your leather, soak your helmet in ice water, wear chaps, open in the back) whatever, man let me in on it. Better yet, if there is some safety gear desinged for the tropics, that one I'd go for in a heartbeat.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts