Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an A model that has been dynoed in Houston. Will be riding 1500 miles or so through the entire state of Colorado over the next week or so. Am I looking at any appreciable performance differences due to altitude in excess of 10,000 feet?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Barrister said:
Have an A model that has been dynoed in Houston. Will be riding 1500 miles or so through the entire state of Colorado over the next week or so. Am I looking at any appreciable performance differences due to altitude in excess of 10,000 feet?
I'm far from expert, but I would say no. This is not carburation - the EFI has a MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) sensor, and I would think that the pressure sensor would help the EFI compensate your mix for the thinner air...

I could be wrong, though...

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm in Colorado now with my Kaliforia spec 03 VRSCA and the only difference I see is better fuel economy. And the daily afternoon rain. Have a great trip.

·
Check that P clamp!
686 Posts
Barrister said:
I rode to the top of Mount Evans in CO a few weeks ago and didn't notice any difference. You can't get any higher than that(14,288')on pavement in the US.

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
I regularly ride 7 to 10K feet. little less power, hardly noticable though.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I suspect it depends a lot on how good your tune was. The factory tune works well at all altitudes. The ECM should compensate. If at high altitude,however, if your tune is lean or rich anywhere, it will likely be more noticeable. Its been my experience that gas mileage usually improves at altitude.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts