Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Cranky Frank
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got back from Iraq two weeks ago and am headed out Sunday on the DX toward Deals Gap for some reintegration and relaxation! Going to hit the Blue Ridge Parkway around Staunton Va. and ride it south to the end and then on to Deals Gap. (About 700 miles from North Central West Virginia.)

So anybody who has done this ride have any advice for the trip or Deals Gap area?

Did 235 miles yesterday to deliver a wallet I found to it's owner. The new Sundowner Seat rocks! No numb ass! :) Also got saddlebags, tourmaster pack and an Icon small tankbag. Should be good to go on luggage.

Is a rainsuit really a necessity in the summer?

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
The speed limit is 45 most of the way. But it's 35 in a few places, including the first umpteen miles at Front Royal on Skyline Drive. You'll go by Mabry Mill VA, which is one of the most photographed things on the planet (though I'm stumped as to why). Stop at Laurel Springs NC and have a cheeseburger (damn good) at The Station's Inn, a motorcycle "resort" maybe 3 hours from your destination. They are about 2 hours apart.

http://foreverlodging.com/foreverinfo.cfm?PropertyKey=74&ContentKey=2412

http://www.stationsinn.com/

·
Registered
147 Posts
Rainsuit would be good. I was in the mountains last week for a camping ride along skyline drive. At about 3000 feet the clouds settled on the mountain, it was way worse than fog. 20 foot visibility and soaking wet. Not rain exactly, if you stood still you didn't get wet, but if you were riding it felt like stinging rain. Also, on the blue ridge parkway you will reach an elevation of over 5000 feet. Even if it is 100 degrees at sea level you will still want a jacket to ride at that elevation. Its a great trip. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Like megaz noted, watch your speed on the parkway. A ticket from the feds is not cheap.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
And if you actually get arrested, they have to take you to the closest federal facility. In my stretch of the Parkway, that's Richmond, VA. If you wear a brain bucket, they will detain you until a riding buddy can get a DOT helmet for you...no riding buddy >>> Richmond.

·
Non-stop-rider
889 Posts
Like megaz noted, watch your speed on the parkway. A ticket from the feds is not cheap.
And they drive much more than Crown Vics. I actually don't think I saw a single Crown Vic, it was mostly SUVS like Tahoes and Explorers.

Sounds like you're pretty well set. I would bring the rainsuit.

Watch out for turkeys and deer, they are everywhere!!

I spent a few days here (http://www.huntslodge.com/) at Hunt's Lodge in Tellico Planes. It's right at the end of the Cherohala Skyway. The price was right, the owner was very hospitable, and the place was very clean and comfortable. I recommend it!

Have fun and welcome home! You're going to love this ride.

·
Cranky Frank
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, so the FED's will actually pull you over for a non-DOT helmet? My riding partner has a helmet that is non-DOT approved. Speeds don't concern me much. I like to roll slow for the most part with the occasional high-speed run on an entrance ramp. :angeldev: :moped:

Thanks everyone. Gonna stay at the Two Wheel Inn in Robbinsville. Hope to see some more VRODS!

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
The DX should be good on gas but you still may want to give your gas stops some consideration. There is really nothing on the Parkway.

·
Non-stop-rider
889 Posts
The DX should be good on gas but you still may want to give your gas stops some consideration. There is really nothing on the Parkway.
Yes, be aware of gas stops. I believe the longest stretch was from point "A" (heading south) to Ashville, NC. My '02 rolled in on fumes.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
If it matters to you, Robbinsville is in a dry county...no beer/wine etc

·
Back in Black
2,573 Posts
I just did this. I looked up blueridge parkway site and got gas station and wrote them down. You will hit 6000 feet so weather can change. Also some hotels do not have air so ask. Take your time and enjoy. Need more info PM me i may still have some info

·
Cranky Frank
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it matters to you, Robbinsville is in a dry county...no beer/wine etc
CRAP! :banghead: Yeah, it matters to me! Once I am done riding I like to drink a few beers. I am amazed that there are still dry counties around. It's friggin annoying. They are just making sure people drive farther to get thier booze. :soapbox:

Hotel didn't mention that part. Already booked for the week in Robbinsville.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome home!

Welcome home COZWV and thanks for your service! Averysweetrod and I returned from Iraq the first of May and did the BRP ride. Spent 6 months planning what we do, how far we would go, and what we would see. In the end, we just said "Screw it". We rode til we got tired, got on and off the parkway whenever something looked interesting, and came home when it seemed right. Spent about 5 days riding between Mt Airey and Gatlinburg (live in Raleigh) and rode about 2500 miles. Had a blast and it was the perfect ride to wind down and rejoin "society".
Hope you have a great trip. Gas is definitely an issue. A GPS will pull up all the gas stations on your route and you can plan accordingly. Ride safe and realize you are a lot more vulnerable now, no body armor or automatic weapons!

Attachments

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
habu...I'm in Mayberry (Mount Airy)

·
Cranky Frank
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome home COZWV and thanks for your service! Averysweetrod and I returned from Iraq the first of May and did the BRP ride. Spent 6 months planning what we do, how far we would go, and what we would see. In the end, we just said "Screw it". We rode til we got tired, got on and off the parkway whenever something looked interesting, and came home when it seemed right. Spent about 5 days riding between Mt Airey and Gatlinburg (live in Raleigh) and rode about 2500 miles. Had a blast and it was the perfect ride to wind down and rejoin "society".
Hope you have a great trip. Gas is definitely an issue. A GPS will pull up all the gas stations on your route and you can plan accordingly. Ride safe and realize you are a lot more vulnerable now, no body armor or automatic weapons!
Thanks man, and thank you and Averysweetrod for your service also. It is sure nice to be home. Already spent a week in Nags head and now gonna finish up with some nice riding before heading back to work.

Yeah, I've been wearing myself out trying to think of every little detail for this ride. I'd say we will do as you did and just go until we are tired. I'm hoping we can make it at least to the Stations Inn the first day. (Be about 430 miles). I have printed out a list of Gas Stations along the BRP by mile marker and a map of different attractions along the way. My riding friend is a State Trooper and also a veteran of Iraq. He is ready for a break also.

Hey, No body armor but at least we don't have to worry about RKG's, IED's, every vehicle being a VBIED or the "shoot and scoot" shitheads! LOL! I do miss my MRAP at times though. It was nice how everyone got the hell out of your way. Both due to the enormous vehicle and of course Mr. 240B pointed thier way. :D

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Thanks man, and thank you and Averysweetrod for your service also. It is sure nice to be home. Already spent a week in Nags head and now gonna finish up with some nice riding before heading back to work.

Yeah, I've been wearing myself out trying to think of every little detail for this ride. I'd say we will do as you did and just go until we are tired. I'm hoping we can make it at least to the Stations Inn the first day. (Be about 430 miles). I have printed out a list of Gas Stations along the BRP by mile marker and a map of different attractions along the way. My riding friend is a State Trooper and also a veteran of Iraq. He is ready for a break also.

Hey, No body armor but at least we don't have to worry about RKG's, IED's, every vehicle being a VBIED or the "shoot and scoot" shitheads! LOL! I do miss my MRAP at times though. It was nice how everyone got the hell out of your way. Both due to the enormous vehicle and of course Mr. 240B pointed thier way. :D
Enjoy your ride and thanks for your service! If you are riding with a State Trooper you won't have to worry much about tickets -- cops generally have a "no ticket to a fellow cop" brotherhood, or so my cop son tells me. Of course the Park Rangers may not be part of that club.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My advice to you is to try to keep the wheel rubbers in contact with the pavement.

Seriously, i just wanted to say thanks for your service.

·
Cranky Frank
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My advice to you is to try to keep the wheel rubbers in contact with the pavement.

Seriously, i just wanted to say thanks for your service.
Thanks very much. :cheers:

By the way Habu, your avatar rocks!

Looks like we are set. Stations Inn is empty for Sunday night so tat may be a good stop. Very excited about this trip!

A Couple of pics:

Near Ad-Dawr Iraq.

On Top of Snowshoe Mountain in WV.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts