Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an '08 DX, and after driving it home for 3 hours now see what this guy meant from this bike review :

The bike handled really well, but for me at 6'2'' I had to reach about 3" too far forward and put me into a gorilla position. When I held on with just my fingertips it felt much better. If this were fixed this bike would have been my second choice.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/0905_crup_great_musclebike_brawl/riding_positions.html

:soapbox:
I know the hunched over position has been mentioned by others, and I am 6'2" and don't like it. So far I have been looking at a different seat that will lower me down and back a bit. Potentially looking at different handle bars as well.

Wondering who else has had this issue and what they did to address?

Peace/cheers/thanks/blah

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm 6'1 and it doesn't bother me all that much. By the time I'm ready for fuel its time to stretch anyway. You could get risers or a different set of bars. I believe one of the aftermarket seats (maybe a sundowner?) sits farther forward than the stock one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dajewlr - my back gets out of whack after an hour or so. I am going to try a different seat, I think farther back and lower would make a bigger difference for me in this case.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thanks dajewlr - my back gets out of whack after an hour or so. I am going to try a different seat, I think farther back and lower would make a bigger difference for me in this case.
There are also people that do custom seats for you, like rich's. I've seen them do a seat for someone that was like 7'10" from bellevue... it fits him great. It can be made to put you in whatever riding position you like best.
If you want, you can give them a mail or call just to talk about it, then make your choice. That way you atleast open all your options. }:)

http://www.richscustomseats.com/

http://www.richscustomseats.com/PhotoSingle.asp?PageID=252&MakeID=13&Placeholder=0

}:)

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
bitchin seats make some incredible pieces of art custom tailored for YOU. The seat is made based on your stats, height, weight, inseam, and comfort preference.
Expensive as all get out, but incredible seats.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info., being the cheap bastard that I am I will probably find a slim/low seat and give it a try first :>

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
On my AW the bars and riser are one welded piece. Is this the case on the DX? If not, would it be possible to rotate the bars towards you a bit more?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the exact same problem....found myself doing the fingertip thing on more than one occasion.

I just fixed it with a set of the reduced-reach DX bars. They were only like $50 from Zanotti, and I needed the longer front brake line as well ($75).

It will take a little getting used to, but it's much more comfortable now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are spearate - I messed with that a bit today, took off the clamshell and then rotated the bar a bit along with controls. Will probably make some changes but it did offer a change at least.

On my AW the bars and riser are one welded piece. Is this the case on the DX? If not, would it be possible to rotate the bars towards you a bit more?

·
Gone to the V8 side
2,102 Posts
I'm 6'2" and am quite comfortable.

Do you have long legs and a short body, maybe?

Some people put Sportster bars on.
Ironically, I put DX bars on my Sporty :)

·
The Pharoah Rider
402 Posts
The reduced reach seat is a good choice also. Makes me more comfortable but still with hunch back style so. Only problem it squeeze your legs more towards the bike so u feel the heat much more than the custom one

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Thats why I fitted the bars from an A a lot more comfortable.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had a similar experience. I used black sportster bars with factory lines and later added the sundowner seat, the seat makes all the difference. Suspension is next. Air ride for me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bars, etc.

My kid has an 883 Iron, he just ordered new Z bars so I am going to try the handlebars from his Sporty. After exhaust, seat will be looked at next as well./

I had a similar experience. I used black sportster bars with factory lines and later added the sundowner seat, the seat makes all the difference. Suspension is next. Air ride for me.

·
Guardian of Freedom
140 Posts
I am 5'10" with a short inseam. I have the sundowner seat on my 08 DX and I couldn't be happier. I have sat on stock setup before and it was not comfortable for me. Now I do have the stock bars and I wish they were a bit closer (1") for comfort but I like the way they are because when I am crusing at 65-70 it balances out with the wind nicely.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am 6'0 with a bad back, and love mine (although people look at me funny when I say a ducati 916 is comfortable)
:angeldev:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts