Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got a chance yesterday to do a complete stock bike tank install. Going at it in 95 degree heat so it was an easy pace and everything stock it took a total of 2.5 hours. I can tell you I used the pickle fork to cut the skid plate, cut it clean and took about 5 seconds to cut the plate. Really the best way yet to cut them. Everything went smooth without any issues with the exception of the stock lower chrome guard. On Brents bike the lower guard does need to be trimmed to clear the tank, if you have a lower guard and didn't check it or modify it I suggest you double check that area. We did however discover that Brents lower guard had been making contact with the tire already for some time so it is very close. Maybe Brent will wash the bike up and take some pictures of his bike with the larger tank now.

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
Max said:
Going at it in 95 degree heat so it was an easy pace and everything stock it took a total of 2.5 hours.
...hey... the good news is that is was not raining.... :D :D :D

HH

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Nice job Max I can supply the tools, beer, and food, want to head to Ohio a cold front has rolled through its going to be a very comfy 77 today. 2.5 hours damn you are good.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really thought I could do it faster, Brents bike hasn't been apart a lot so some of the fasteners were a little stuck and tight. Plus stock means you have to pull the top muffler and loosen the entire exhaust.

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
I thought a pickle fork was a ball-joint separator?

·
Hockey Fanatic
218 Posts
Max; I'm a little confused on what a pickle fork is? I googled it and it appears to be a fork like device for separating ball-joints with an air hammer? How does a device like this cut the skid plate? Or are you just chiseling it out with the fork?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a pickle fork that is used to seperate ball joints. There is also an attachment for a air hammer that is used to cut metal that I have always called the same name. I posted a video a while back showing how easy a plate was to cut as a test. Brents was the first one we used it while on the bike, it was blistering fast and made a perfect cut.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the plate after about 5 seconds of cutting with the fork.

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
No shit! Damn thats cleaner then a cutoff wheel!

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Damn, I got to get me one of those. I had sparks flying everywhere near the fuel lines with the cutoff wheel.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
V Ride said:
Damn, I got to get me one of those. I had sparks flying everywhere near the fuel lines with the cutoff wheel.
The fork makes no sparks at all and is so much faster there is no comparison. Maybe Brent will post in here but I am not kidding when I say five seconds, it may have been even less then that.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
Is it really necessary to cut the plate? I plan to just straighten out the plate and then add the Rick's plate from the bottom side. For the long term, I think having the tank rest on a metal edge is not a good thing.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
Max said:
The fork makes no sparks at all and is so much faster there is no comparison. Maybe Brent will post in here but I am not kidding when I say five seconds, it may have been even less then that.

The video shows you cutting it on a drill press. I thought it had to be cut whil on the bike. I didn't kow that you could remove it to cut it.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Vrod-Mike said:
The video shows you cutting it on a drill press. I thought it had to be cut whil on the bike. I didn't kow that you could remove it to cut it.

Mike get another cup of coffee that was a test piece to see if it would even cut metal!:chair: HAHA

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sammy said:
Is it really necessary to cut the plate? I plan to just straighten out the plate and then add the Rick's plate from the bottom side. For the long term, I think having the tank rest on a metal edge is not a good thing.
If you straighten the plate then the tank is still going to sit on an edge since the plate isn't long enough to go all the way to the front. It is also very difficult to get the plate flat when bending it so cutting it off and sanding the edge is by far must less intrusive into the tank area and the tank itself. The way I do it cutting it off and sanding the edge is silky smooth and since the tank doesn't move there isn't any worry about the tank cutting in time IMHO.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Vrod-Mike said:
Mike that was just a test of a plate I cut off Robs bike to see how it would cut, trust me it cuts faster and easier in the bike since it doesn't move with the air hammer.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Max said:
Mike that was just a test of a plate I cut off Robs bike to see how it would cut, trust me it cuts faster and easier in the bike since it doesn't move with the air hammer.
Just spoke to my engineer who is a Hot Rod man at home he says he has one for cutting sheet metal.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Ok so what do I call this pickle fork thing when I go to try to buy one of them. The guy at my local supply house already think I am crazy so if I go in and ask for a pickle fork I can already see the look on his face.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
I have some time slated off on Tuesday and hope to get this done then.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts