Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I rode with a couple of my buddies today, and while I was cruising, my buddy pointed out that something fell from the right side of my bike, it was a metal HD emblem I put to cover Ricks tank (mounted with 3m heavy duty double sided tape) and I was dissapointed that up to now I still cant find any chrome cover for the rick's tank...so I made my own...I know a lot of ppl here wont like it, but this is my own idea and like I said it's just home made (my prototype) I bought a 6" X 24" sheet of aluminum from the local hardware store for $5.99 each, this is raw and pliable, after a couple of tries with the cardboard template I finally cut it to follow the arch (notch) on the bottom of rick's tank, (this arch is important so that the peg mount doesnt touch the tank when the shocks bottom out.), Anyway, here's some pics and the link ...I'm still not sure if I should paint it black or silver aluminum to match the frame, or just leave it as is "raw".

LINK to the making of rick's tank cover:
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e8/knightenforcer/Ricks%20tank%20cover%20%20fuel%20cell%20side%20cover/

PICS:

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I like it!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I might try spray painting the first one I made, (silver like the frame, black or chrome spray paint?) or maybe just put in a chrome harley emblem like the bar and shield logo or skull wing in the middle...idk,still undecided.

·
CEMIRT Lifer
524 Posts
Tank Covers: just leave it as is "raw"

:plause: The covers look great; I would leave them unpainted and polished. Be sure to post pics when all done.

·
Fisher of Men
905 Posts
Great Job! I have been looking into doing something like this myself. Post pics and a how to when you get done, that is if you don't mind someone borrowing your idea...lol

Ride Safe & God Bless, JC

·
Registered
385 Posts
It looks nice, Good job!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I bought a $4.99 alum chrome Krylon spray paint and after a trial on the spare one I did'nt like the color (see pic)

So I took the one on the bike and just sanded down the edges using a Dremel to make it smooth, and decided to keep it as it is...it seems to match my polished wheels and the swingarm. Anyway for those who want to do the same thing, I dont mind...but if you start making money of it, just keep me in mind...LOL:angeldev: , If you click on this link,http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e8/knightenforcer/Ricks%20tank%20cover%20%20fuel%20cell%20side%20cover/ you can see how I made a rough template using a piece of cardboard, and I also took pics with the ruler so you kinda have an idea on the size. BTW, my 06 has the pre-existing threaded hole right beneath the frame close to the shock mount, you just have to find a bolt to fit it, I also use washers on both sides. The front mount I used the existing bolt closest to the swing arm(see pics).

Here's some pics of my finished project:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shurshot, like I said above, if you want to do something similar, I dont mind...The easiest way is to get a piece of cardboard, it should be large enough so you can outline the shape of the area that you want to cover on the tank, I used a marker to outline the area but u can use pencil and tracing paper if you want. The alum piece I used is sturdy enough, yet pliable so I was able to bend the tab on the left upper portion to use it as a mount(see above pic). This is easy and you should be able to do it in a couple hours. Pm me if u have questions. Thanks.:)
sorry, I forgot to mention that I used heavy duty Tin snips to cut some areas, and a small cutting wheel for the larger portion of the alum sheet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts