Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nightrod 06 and i bought the replacement bigger fuel tank from Rick's Motorcycle and i had asked Rick's if they were sure that there would be no problem and they said it would fit with the 06 nightrod. this week i had it put in but there was a bit of a problem - once the fuel tank was in the right holder of the pillion footrest and the exhaust pipes could not be mounted in its original position because the tank protrudes there and it had to be cut. i have attached a pic of the cut holder and the original holder on the other side.
so if you have an 06 nightrod and you want to put that in - be aware that you either need to replace that or cut it. :stilpoke:

Attachments

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
:thumb: Looks good! Enjoy the new found Miles Per Tank!! It seems like a small price for the extra fuel. Remember when it comes to a Harley nothing is a "bolt on".:D

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
RJ has a post and How To Fix it somewhere on the forum. I'm sure he'll post up with his fix.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Couldn't you bolt up regular passenger pegs and mounts from an "A" or "B"? I see the holes there on the swing arm, I don't know if they are tapped though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
those holes are tapped, all you have to do is pop out the little plastic caps. A/B mounts work perfectly

·
Registered
332 Posts
GRRRRR said:
those holes are tapped, all you have to do is pop out the little plastic caps. A/B mounts work perfectly
Really? Sure look to me like the swing arm is cast solid with NO plastic plugs. You see the casting marks where the lower holes would be, but solid aluminum. Do you have an '06 that you have installed these footrest brackets on with the stock exhaust? Looks like you are running some Rineharts. I don't think there is clearance for the brackets with any other exhaust. Let's see some closeup pics.

·
THE DORK-ROD
344 Posts
You will have to change pipes to use a or b pegs.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
GRRRRR said:
The A/B mounts will not work with the factory exhaust on a D, they will work with aftermarket exhaust though.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
RJ posted a how-to on this, it did require the bracket be ground down and I think a different bolt. I'm sure he will chime in here.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
ajam318 said:
Really? Sure look to me like the swing arm is cast solid with NO plastic plugs. You see the casting marks where the lower holes would be, but solid aluminum. Do you have an '06 that you have installed these footrest brackets on with the stock exhaust? Looks like you are running some Rineharts. I don't think there is clearance for the brackets with any other exhaust. Let's see some closeup pics.
looks solid but it's not. those little 'bumps' are just plastic caps that pop right off. not sure of all other exhausts but with the cfr you can use the a/b mounts.

·
Registered
332 Posts
salieri said:
looks solid but it's not. those little 'bumps' are just plastic caps that pop right off. not sure of all other exhausts but with the cfr you can use the a/b mounts.
I'll have to check mine when I get back home. Seems to me that it was solid. I have been wrong before. Or so my girl sys! Can't believe a thing she says though. Ha!

·
Registered
332 Posts
If they are just caps, then why couldn't we just make a shim that would raise the brackets up so they could be used with an exhaust system other than JH or Rineharts? Any input there? Anyone have a set of the lower brackets they would like to donate to this trial? Or is there a shim or spacer already out there?

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
becareful with those Peg brackets cut down like that.They don't look very strong. I'd hate for your passenger to get hurt if one broke:heart: .

·
Bike is for sale!
5,075 Posts
Super Kaz said:
becareful with those Peg brackets cut down like that.They don't look very strong. I'd hate for your passenger to get hurt if one broke:heart: .
:stupid: It looks weak to me, and with any forward force from you stopping I think that will bend/snap.

I could be wrong but to me it looks like there are to mounting holes in the swing are for the A/B foot peg mount.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I will live with having to stop more often before I would cut those brackets like that. If your passenger tries to even brace against them to get comfortable(HA!) it doesn't look like it would hold. Still might look into a spacer and the other brackets though. Even without the tank change.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
All you had to do is shave a few hairs off the top mounting tab of the bracket, not lop the whole side off. I know I've seen pix of this mod around.

Yes, the A/B pegs will fit on to an '06 D swingarm...those little caps do pop out. To be honest, I wouldn't trust that bracket as far as I could throw it the way it is now, sorry just my :2cents:

If you're not using it as an exhaust mount, get rid of it and go with the A/B pegs mounts. Your passenger would probably appreciate the extra leg room anyway.

Edit: LINK TO PIX HERE.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have looked at the statics of the holder - and it there should be no problem - its too thick to bend- plus the exhaust would give it added stability. it might not look stable but it actually is...

but maybe i will change it to a A/B holder - if i put on another exhaust...

ajam318 said:
I will live with having to stop more often before I would cut those brackets like that. If your passenger tries to even brace against them to get comfortable(HA!) it doesn't look like it would hold. Still might look into a spacer and the other brackets though. Even without the tank change.

·
hitting the road
379 Posts
I used a cfr pipe with my aftermarket tank and used the pegs from an A model. The swing arm is tapped on the 06 D, and the caps are plastic and just pry off. I would change your set-up for exhaust before trusting that peg mount.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts