Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,
I'm about to start the install of my Rick's fender and solo seat on my 08 DX and I'm wondering if anybody has any tips, tricks or helpful pictures before I get started? Maybe some pics of what you done with the ecm etc....
I installed arnotts and a rear render from exotic body parts last winter but I just can't get away from the look that the solo seat gives you so I'm going to dig into it again!

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Here are a couple of pics of my bike after last years mods, I have since added some joker machine front signals and fork covers but this is pretty much what it's like today.

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hey Folks,
I'm about to start the install of my Rick's fender and solo seat on my 08 DX and I'm wondering if anybody has any tips, tricks or helpful pictures before I get started? Maybe some pics of what you done with the ecm etc....
I installed arnotts and a rear render from exotic body parts last winter but I just can't get away from the look that the solo seat gives you so I'm going to dig into it again!

Thanks,
Steve

Here are a couple of pics of my bike after last years mods, I have since added some joker machine front signals and fork covers but this is pretty much what it's like today.
I have no advice for you as I have never done what you're asking about, but your bike looks good man. What fender do you have now, and will it fit a 13 lol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Shawn, I'm trying to do a bit at a time when some cash becomes available. Trying to decide on what I like best is the hardest part! Sorry man the fender is only good up to 2011 but it will probably be for sale on this board within a couple of months.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anybody ever install a Ricks fender??? I can't find anything online about how to install one of these on a vrod. I bought mine from a forum member and it didn't come with the hardware of instructions so I'm just trying to avoid the problems before I start.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,209 Posts
Best I can do to help-- maybe you can call or email them for the instructions. They'll probably be in German, but you can always run them through a translator.

R.

Rick's Motorcycles of Baden-Baden
from US Phone:
011 49 7221 3939-0
[email protected]

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No its the 240-260 flat version in the pics below. Mine didn't come with the metal bracket or bolts, just the fender and seat pan. I'm sure I can make it work once I actually get at it but I'm just looking for some tips on the install. I have the steel inner fender trimmed from the short fender I have installed now but does that inner fender need to be removed completly now? It looks like it is in one of these pics and is replaced by that metal trim?? Maybe I should just dig into it and figure it out as I'm going!! lol

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
No its the 240-260 flat version in the pics below. Mine didn't come with the metal bracket or bolts, just the fender and seat pan. I'm sure I can make it work once I actually get at it but I'm just looking for some tips on the install. I have the steel inner fender trimmed from the short fender I have installed now but does that inner fender need to be removed completly now? It looks like it is in one of these pics and is replaced by that metal trim?? Maybe I should just dig into it and figure it out as I'm going!! lol

I can help you. Installed it last month !

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that would be awesome man, I'll pm you with my email and maybe you can send me an email with some info and pics of your install. Thanks.

·
dyno jet,k&n,v&h
13 Posts
Thanks Shawn, I'm trying to do a bit at a time when some cash becomes available. Trying to decide on what I like best is the hardest part! Sorry man the fender is only good up to 2011 but it will probably be for sale on this board within a couple of months.
I'll buy that fender...I'm in love.

·
dyno jet,k&n,v&h
13 Posts
Hey Folks,

Thanks,
Steve

If u don't mind did the light come with or was it out sourced?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Jessejay the old fender will be for sale on this forum once I get around to getting it off so you can be the first in line of you really do want it. I did buy it as a kit but you can buy these led strips from Radiantz, I will be buying one for my new fender from them because you can order custom lengths.

·
dyno jet,k&n,v&h
13 Posts
Hi Jessejay the old fender will be for sale on this forum once I get around to getting it off so you can be the first in line of you really do want it. I did buy it as a kit but you can buy these led strips from Radiantz, I will be buying one for my new fender from them because you can order custom lengths.
Thanks bud.u know is there room for the sissy bar bracket or how much room between the seat and the fender...3" or more I'm hoping 4"

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's 3 1/2" of fender left behind the passenger seat. I used the rear backrest with the bracket on it once or twice and the bracket is just short of the light when installed, works out well. I only had this fender on for last years riding season so it's in great condition. pm me if your interested and would like a few more pics. Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm only just getting started at it. I don't have a lot of time these days but I managed to get the old fender off and scribe out the inner fender for cutting over the weekend. I also noticed that I the new fender doesn't quite line up with the shock bolt holes so I'm going to have to work at that too. The seat is out being made now and that is going to take 4-5 weeks apparently so this might take a while! I'll post some pics when I get it finished. I'm also trying to find the best way to mount my brake\turn combo led strip to the fender, do you have any suggestions on this?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Rick's Fender install

I can help you. Installed it last month !

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Hey Naijkee,

I'm in the same boat as shobbs. I have a rick's fender and seat pan coming too but no hardware. Would you be kind enough to help with the install for me too?:D I still have the OEM fender on it and hoping I don't have to cut into the inner one. I can PM you my email.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
update

I have had a few people asking about the install and how it went so I figured I would post an update. the install wasn't very smooth but I don't believe I had a true fender from Rick's either?? Pretty sure I had a knockoff fiberglass setup that wasn't a very good quality but of course I was told it was a Rick's! Anyway that's besides the point, after hours of bodywork I finally had it painted and it looks fine now.

I wanted an LED strip light on the back that served as the run/brake/turns similar to my old setup so I used a dremel tool to carve out a groove on the underside of the fender and then epoxied in a piece of curved plastic to mount the light. Don't laugh but it's actually a piece of flexible corner bead from the local hardware store!

Hiding all of the wiring and computer was the most difficult part, there is a small cavity between the fender and the inner fender and also a space underneath the inner fender at the rear of the seat. You will need to use every inch of this space. Here is some advice, do not rely on the stock plastic piece that clips in between the inner fender and gas tank. My first run with the new seat resulted in this piece disappearing and a bunch of wiring being melted together between the rear tire and gas tank!! I re-wired this in a walmart parking lot, good times!! I have since made up a bracket using a piece of aluminum that is bolted to the frame using the inner fender bolts, see the attached pic.

Anyway I know there isn't a lot of specific info here but if you would like to know more shoot me a pm.

Steve

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts