Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Usually a Lean condition will pop thru the air filter,when sitting at idle and you give it gas.When at cruzing speed it will shutter,feel like it's (the power)on and off.
Usually a rich condition will have poor throttle response,by very hesitant.When cruzing it will make deep low sounding noises,kinda sound's like blllump bluuump.

Correct me if I'm wrong.:2cents

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Excess lean will cause excess bluing of the pipes, less fuel more air = more heat. Rich usually will produce black smoke on full throttle that is excessive and can lead to carbon buildup and fouled plugs but less damage to pistons and heads then lean causes.

Max

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Vinny,

It shouldn't, the ECM senses detonation on the onset and retards the timing as much as 10 degrees or until it stops sensing detonation. You would have to be REAL lean to still get "pinging" with this system.

The most obvious signs are poping on deceleration, excessive bluing of the pipes and surging at contstant throttle position.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Only if the ignition timing can't be turned down enough. Usually the timing can be reduced to the point where it doesn't ping (but it doesn't make much power either ;))

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VrodG i have the v-mods and PCIIIR and the filter upgrade with modified cover (like johns).
My bike is'nt showing any signs of the problems listed
after i downloaded Vals custom map, But i wanted to make sure of the warning signs so when i play with the map i'll know which direction i need to go. Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Simple Check for mixture

To check your mixture the simple way, look at the exhaust outlets and the following will give you a guide.

RICH : Dark or Black and heavy sooty deposits. (Normally even)

WEAK/LEAN : Very light brown or white deposits (can be fluffy)

CORRECT: Medium Brown, very even coating, low soot deposit.

A good double check would be to pull the plugs and you should see similar results.

Hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts