Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying this here, since it didn't get much response in the exhaust section......

i had V-mod install their quiet baffle on my new RH 2-1. HD shop installed the pipe - the shop i go to is very competent/experienced with pipes and tuning. They also dyno tuned the bike, it's tuned just fine now.

But the pipe has a horrible bark/chirp when throttling up - it's virtually unrideable like this. it's not a small chirp once in a while, it's every twist of the throttle, and it's a very loud obnoxious hiccup.

the problem is the end cap, it seems. with the end cap off, it doesn't do this. they've tried packing the holes in the end cap (twice), as well as opening more holes in the end cap (as Steve at V-Mod suggested) - nothing is working. the service manager told me they have more labor time working on this pipe than it's worth. the quiet baffle can't just be taken out now, it's welded in.

I've emailed steve about it, he emailed me back and suggested fashioning a "sleeve" to make more gradual the step between the baffle and the end cap. i'm not happy that this pipe now needs this kind of work, i don't expect HD will do that for me, and if they do, i'll pay for it.

basically, it seems to me that if the pipe needs this kind of additional work to function properly, V-mod has put in a baffle that really isn't tested well and working properly.

Any one else have any experience like this, or have any suggestions?

thanks for reading

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
i don't know what to tell you crow. i guess if you can define "bark" or "chirp" and possibly a picture as i don't know what the end cap looks like. kinda strange though seems you shouldn't have to re-engineer it.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Seems it's something acting as a reed where the end cap mates up.Install the cap and use something like clay,temporarily,to fill the void that is whistling.Once you find it,then figure how to seal it permanently,or grind it down.
It can be a pain getting things like this worked out,but you will win.

I have the quite mods on my 07 and they are flawless.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, i really shouldn't have to re-engineer it. i paid v-mod $200 for the damn baffle install, and Steve hasn't even called me back.

elrod, i think you're right, something is catching air at the cap. i don't know how else to describe it. was thinking maybe try some silicone around the inside.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think the shop has tried all the easy options like that but will talk to them tomorrow. talked to the tech friday and he was ready to throw this pipe through a window.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
no, i really shouldn't have to re-engineer it. i paid v-mod $200 for the damn baffle install, and Steve hasn't even called me back.

elrod, i think you're right, something is catching air at the cap. i don't know how else to describe it. was thinking maybe try some silicone around the inside.
Wow,I didn't pay near close to list price for mine,I won them at a silent auction,but list price was $650!

Use clay so if this doesn't cure it,it will be easier to remove than silicone.High temp silicone will work good in place of the clay.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i got a good deal on the pipe as a closeout from dennis kirk, so i didn't mind paying extra for the quiet baffle, but sheesh - this is ridiculous - especially since it's welded in now and can't be removed. can't even get a new one of these pipes now, because rinehart doesnt make them anymore.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Id suggest the high temp silicone, but be careful it makes a hell of a mess and its nasty red color. Ive used this stuff many times with great success...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Did you try putting some exhaust baffling in the end of the exhaust .I put in a bag full in mine .It took away a lot of the bark out of mine .

I thought of doing what you did and get an internal baffle.But I stopped because there is no telling how the pipe will react .

I found this pipe way too loud for everyday use before I put in the baffling .Now it`s only a problem on the highway .

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes, tried that

but, at least imho, if v-mod is selling these and don't know it causes this reaction, they're selling a faulty product, and i'm pissed.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no, the pipe is still on the bike, at the HD shop. and i'm not sure how they'd fix it unless they have another v-rod there to install it on and fire it up - it may come to that though.

·
V-Mod.com
581 Posts
I have a total of six of these Baffles out, not a huge amount, but all seem very happy with it and my map [ PC-V ] have I tested it with some other MAP, no. I dont like doing the " first time we ever heard of this and your the only one" crap. I prefer to think of it as you have a problem and we should all work together to fix it. I have answered all your emails and gave my suggsetions going off what I know about sound waves and frequency's and the funny things they can do. Im not sure what is being done on your/their end, but I am certain they/you are frustrated. Taking the end cap off and the noise goes away as a test is OK, but leaves the pipe loud, Which defeats the purpose. Though "welded in" it can be removed, cut off.
I believe that the current map is a little rich and the Baffle "Burps" I have run into this with the mixture being too rich or the timing to late or the chnage in pipe size too great too quickly. I really like the clay idea. If run run a little modeling clay on the outer step and the noise goes away, or not. A quick and easy test. Some would argue that you should not have to do any of this, but somethings are out of my control, in this case "Mapping" . But your Tech is certain its correct and most likely will not change it.
But I have and will do what ever I can to help.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks steve, i appreciate this post. really not trying to bash you here, just frustrated as this has had my bike down for an unnecessary extra few weeks with the riding season just about over now.

i just talked to the shop, they're going to follow up these suggestions. they've already tried sealing the cap with silicone and that didn't work. if it comes to that, i will send it back to you to remove the baffle.

if you want to talk to the shop, it might be helpful, and i'd appreciate it. they are very good and i know are doing everything they can think of. i sent you Smitty's phone number there in a previous email.

thanks

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
the din you describe sounds like metal agains metal harmonics. If it's even occurring when the end cap has been siliconed, then it may be coming from where the can attaches to the headers and or 3rd volume but only happens when the additional weight of the endcap is added to the system.
If it were my bike, I would throw a coating of anti-seize onto the can where it attaches to the other exhaust parts, and any other connection point excluding the headers to the block.
I had a similar squeak when I first did the "wicked-line" 2:1. It turned out to be the bolt/nut at the custom bracket rubbing against the bracket. Solved it by installing a leather washer.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my boy smitty says he's solved this 99% with a welded piece of metal across the end of the baffle to break up the airflow before it gets to the end cap. we shall see when i'm able to go get it.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
gl. Hope it solves it crow!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts