Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an '07 D that I want to convert but I notice an issue with most Road Rods I see.

It appears to me that the RG fairing sits tilted backwards a bit, based on the RG stock turn signals not being parallel to the ground as on the RG itself.

I assume that most if not all Road Roads use the CV mount but some use the original RG lower brackets mounted to the V-Rod engine guards instead of the CV lower brackets. Does this make a difference in angle?

Can the CV mount be adjusted in any way to level out the fairing?

Is the buffeting issue raised by some an effect of the fairing angle being to shallow?

Will my 07 D bars clear the RG fairing?

Just a few nagging questions before I take the plunge. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Premium Member
10,800 Posts
i have an '07 D that I want to convert but I notice an issue with most Road Rods I see.

It appears to me that the RG fairing sits tilted backwards a bit, based on the RG stock turn signals not being parallel to the ground as on the RG itself.

I assume that most if not all Road Roads use the CV mount but some use the original RG lower brackets mounted to the V-Rod engine guards instead of the CV lower brackets. Does this make a difference in angle?

Is the buffeting issue raised by some an effect of the fairing angle being to shallow?

Just a few nagging questions before I take the plunge. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
I will try: Most folks use the CV mounts. I did not, as they did not make them for the R when I did it. Mine got adjusted several times, based on testing at a track, wind, rain, and buffeting. CV brackets do not adjust, but are a fine start. They work great. I rode a roadrod (not mine) 1011 MILES last year over memorial day weekend. Unless you want ot change the whole thing, just get the CV.
What buffeting? Use different height windshields, and you can dial it in. I happen to have a spare stock one you are welcome to (you pay shipping) as a start. I also have a spare klockwerks, CeeBailey, and national (remember, experiment...). I sit tall in the saddle, so took a while to science it out.
07 D bars fit fine.
Other than Bad Attitude, who fabricated mounts to connect to the front crashguard, I don't recqll another. PM him for info. In fact, his whole set up is for sale, including a kick ass stereo.
That said, I have 7K on mine, and NO regrets. These things eat miles. All weather, all temperature. These rock - go for it! Joe

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Too many of these bikes are lowered at the rear, and that will change the angle of the fairing relative to the road, making it appear to lean back.
The buffeting is a function of the distance of the rider from the fairing and windshield. The closer to the windshield the rider is the less buffet encountered.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Like captjam say's-what buffeting? I find the wind on chest noticeably less from my air head bagger. Windshield design is a prob as many tend to lay back so far that wind is directed at yer eyebrows. Find one that stands up straighter and the right height and yer good 2 go! I would err on the tall side as you can cut em down,not really difficult but takes time.

·
Registered
155 Posts

I just completed the conversion on a 2006 street rod and had her parked next to a Screaming Eagle Road glide and the conversion is tilted up a wee bit which makes the radio more level. There is an adjustment point on the main bracket however its crude at best.

what I did was cut s0me stainless steel plate and slipped it between the lower bracket and fairing and then lined things up traced the outline on the steel bracket and fairing after drilling the holes I mounted the new bracket to the lower CV bracket and now I didnt have to drill the fairing and gained some adjustment.

I rode it the past two days without a wind shield I'm 5' 6'' and no buffeting and less wind on my chest 70-80mph like cutting through soft butter sweeet

·
Premium Member
10,800 Posts
Pictures, pj007!

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Pictures, pj007!
Joe don't you remenber your 6' and needed a wildshield extension. rpj007 is 5'6 and probley more interested in the radio than seeing over the fairing.Not knocking him
but the road gluide fairing is pertty tall for us shorter guys,personally the shorter the
shield the better,and if you don't like the wind get yourself a full face helmet.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm closer to 5'5" but what s an inch amongst friends. Don't have radio thats where I store my gloves ,wouldnt mind a gps there. At the moment I have no windshield and can easily see over the fairing. I'm not one of the whiners that complained about the street rod height, my front forks where adj down about an inch to improve high speed turning performance. My other bike is a KTM XCF 250 also pretty friggin tall but fun!

So for us short fukers self included I can attest the street rod is perfect for the road rod conversion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts