Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when closeing throttle to change gear the revs hold on and dont close off crisply, like your holding throttle slightly open.
the bike ticks over nicely at about 1200 but revs seems to hang on to long before dropping
on throttle assembly side i've tried to adjust the screw side front throttle body and tried the small stop screw that is accessed from under air box, (rear right)
am still waiting for service manual - 2 months back order
any help or ideas would make me a happy man ( stressed with bike at moment)
07 dx
:notworth: :banghead:

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
It sounds like your throttle cables are sticking, I would not mess with the screws on the throttle body.

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
?

Spaz said:
It sounds like your throttle cables are sticking, I would not mess with the screws on the throttle body.
:them:
and if it's not that simple then your probably look'in at the Idle Air Control Motor or something more complicated.

can you see if the throttle cam returns by just spring pull, all the way back after you back off the grip? and the thumb screw under the grip is backed off enough not to cause drag?

·
Registered
597 Posts
The idle adjustment IS NOT THAT SCREW !!! That "SCREW" is the min. air setting. These bikes have an IAC motor. That is an Idle Air Control Motor. The ECM controls the IAC to maintain IDLE. Yes they have a throttle follower function that KEEPS the idle from falling too fast and it is controlled by the ECM software. You have most likely "nerfed-up" not only your "min. air" setting, but the throttle blade balance between the cyclinders.

I mean on offense but this is exactly what happens when someone that Does NOT understand the system starts "FIXING" it.

The purpose of that Min. Air setting is to balance how the engine RPM returns to IDLE and allows the IAC motor to maintain control. To little min. air and your engine can stall on decel, too much and the IAC can never get control of IDLE. The size and shape of the pintle on that IAC motor is matched of the "EXPECTED" amount of air that flows past the throttle at ZERO TPS. !!!!

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
check your codes, p505 I think it is for iac code. That's what mines been throwing and it does it intermittently so I've just been dealing with it untill I pull the motor again and I will swap out the iac

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
vmaxer12 said:
when closeing throttle to change gear the revs hold on and dont close off crisply, like your holding throttle slightly open.
the bike ticks over nicely at about 1200 but revs seems to hang on to long before dropping
on throttle assembly side i've tried to adjust the screw side front throttle body and tried the small stop screw that is accessed from under air box, (rear right)
am still waiting for service manual - 2 months back order
any help or ideas would make me a happy man ( stressed with bike at moment)
07 dx
:notworth: :banghead:
don`t mess with those screws. you have probably screwed it up and need to have it readjusted. you could have any one of several problems. the iac could be malfunctioning but most likely is improper tune up. if the bike is modified the closed throttle settings in a power commander or sert can cause the symptoms you describe.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
When the bike is run at rpm for a period of time the iac opens to it's limits. It does this so that it won't stall if you let off the throttle quickly. What should happen is the throttle when released the rpm should go to about 1400 rpm then settle down to idle. Not sure how quickly you expect that but if it does it too quickly stalling and popping usually result.

As Fatby RR states there is no mechanical adjustment that you should be altering.

·
"A" model citizen
1,615 Posts
Spaz said:
:them: :stilpoke:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
To sync a set of throttle bodies that have been adjusted you need a mercury manometer to measure the flow of each and you need either a race tuner or good dvm to measure the tps voltage to know when you have it right for the ecm. So you have both a mechanical setting and an electrical setting to get these back correct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts