Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Good Muthafarka
11,225 Posts
Well well well........ive been away for awhile and look wot Harley brings out..................interesting.............

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have to admit. The more I see and read about the new Sporty. The more I like it. Sad to see the engine is detuned to the point of losing 30hp and 2k RPM (Probably so they have plenty of room for improvement on the upcoming CVO model) Personally, I'm glad to see that this engine and everything else on the bike. Looks nothing like they've done before. If this is a design exercise. I would say, well done! This new Sporty and the Pan Am should bring new folks through the doors of their dealerships. That is their goal after all. The Bronx will probably be their 900cc and 750cc version. All will have a power to weight ratio that will make them a blast to ride. Hopefully, this is the not only the Evolution of the Sporty. But the Evolution of the MoCo into the 21st century. It is about time they take steps to get away from the prehistoric air cooled engines. Time will tell.

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,424 Posts
Gonna need a few visual improvements before riding this one

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
Gonna need a few visual improvements before riding this one
Stomper - that's so short & so funny ! So you mean she's ugly and you won't ride her ? Is that how you really feel ? Love the truth in there, yea she ain't a V Rod - long, low and Sexy - but maybe H-D will build us one with the full on Pan-Am engine if we wait a bit longer - guess we'll see - (y) :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
I'll ride her just to check out her new engine, don't really care if she's ugly - I'll be wearing my FF helmet so no one will know it was me anyway - also, I've been dancing with the fat lady ( R Model ) for almost 7 years and all you guys know it anyway so no ducking outta that one - just as long as she isn't Ugly AND Fat and the new " Sportster " isn't fat so I think we're OK to test ride one first - but marrying one by buying one ? NO. Always a test ride out of wedlock first ! (y) :LOL:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well I was at Riverside Harley yesterday (yes they were open LOL) getting parts. Bushings for the belt guard on the rear swing arm. OMG they had them in stock!!! They have two dealers I know of one in Huntington Beach & Riverside. And they had those Pan Americans right away and called me to do a test drive. I didn't because I don't like them even a little. :) The parts guy & one of the salesmen (Is that sales-person now?) Said there will be four different versions of the motor with the Sportster S having the slowest one. That makes sense I guess? They said around the end of the year we should see another announcement about another REV 2 in a softail cruiser not sure on the power but more then the Sportster.

Of course my reply was well we have REV 2 motors how about a V2? :) Then I reminded them how much "Terminator 2" did for bike sales. LOL They didn't seem to think there would be anything like another VROD. :( But you never know by this time next year they should have Pan American, Sportster S and two more bikes with REV 2 motors.

I'm not sure I will ever like the look of that motor but maybe the SPEED will win me over. :)

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
beast-usa Sounds just like the discussion I had at Seminole H-D with the sales men ( 3 ) yesterday when they were trying to get me to trade in my V Rod for a FXDR 114 - no air cooled bikes for me but that FXDR is a very tempting air head - I'd have to ride it hard first though and I'd never trade in the V Rod R model -

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,182 Posts
beast-usa Sounds just like the discussion I had at Seminole H-D with the sales men ( 3 ) yesterday when they were trying to get me to trade in my V Rod for a FXDR 114 - no air cooled bikes for me but that FXDR is a very tempting air head - I'd have to ride it hard first though and I'd never trade in the V Rod R model -
The FXDR came out at like 24K MSRP. The next year the MSRP dropped like 4K. There is a reason they want your V-Rod and they want to get rid of the nobody wants it FXDR. When the HD dealer guy that buys bikes saw my V-Rod, he asked "you want to sell that?" The same HD dealer just bought my daughter's BFF's V-Rod for a pretty good price. FXDR schmefxdr. Just remembered, a couple Christmas's ago, there was a dealer in FL selling the FXDRs for like 12K or 13K new to get rid of them.

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
dmklm - WoW ! They wanted 19K asking price for that FXDR 7900 with miles on it ! - I didn't know they were selling them here in Florida for 12-13K, that right there is a heck of a deal for whoever bought them for that - my investor buddy probably would have bought one and rode it for a year or two, then sell it for export and get all his money back plus a couple thousand extra. CoPart is getting 5-8K plus fees for crashed V Rods that need thousands in parts and repairs, you can buy a good un-crashed one for what you'll end up sinking into a salvage title bike, and it's never worth what you have in it due to the salvage title. Can't even see the remaining good parts being sold off being a "breaking even" deal for the buyer of these salvage bikes. They must be being exported for higher prices or there's a lot of dumb buyers out here in the USA - :cool:

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,182 Posts
Here is the 2020 MSRP for the FXDR.
$19K. Ha.
Maybe the price is up because they say used prices are up due to the shortage, but I test rode this bike. Was not impressed. Glad I never bought one.

Reactions: streetrodracer

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
Was it the lack of rear suspension, lack of high Rpm pull, funky handling, looks, sound or ergonomics ( or all of it ) :LOL: you didn't like on the test ride of the FXDR dmlkm ?

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,182 Posts
The sound was ok. Could have got exhaust & made it sound better.
But everything else you said is right on. & they wanted like $23k/$24k msrp the 1st year. That’s crazy. Maybe if it ran a 10 second 1/4 mile. But it’s just the m8 114 engine. Nothing special.
Seating position was not pleasant either.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts