Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the announcement of the newest HD to use the Revo Max motor being a Sportster, whats the chance of seeing a rebirth the VRod?
After all, the original Revo motor came with the birth of the VRod...

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,182 Posts
For me, I don't care what HD calls the bike, I'd like to test ride one of these to check out the new Revo (the on-road version :)).

·
Registered
641 Posts
I don't mind the specs, but as mentioned, headlight is,,,, well,,, come on! And that exhaust would have to go. I feel my right leg burning just looking at it.

·
VRSCF
1,289 Posts
I thought the most impressive thing about it was the weight ....228Kg has to be one of the lightest HD ever ?

now if they let it have the 150bhp of the Pan America, it could be really interesting...maybe they save that for the next V-Rod ...we can only hope :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought the most impressive thing about it was the weight ....228Kg has to be one of the lightest HD ever ?

now if they let it have the 150bhp of the Pan America, it could be really interesting...maybe they save that for the next V-Rod ...we can only hope :)
I'm pretty sure with proper tuning, you can get the horsepower up closer to 140. The redline is 9500RPM.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Basically a quick bar hopper like the Sportster name implies - install a normal front tire, headlight, twin discs, drop the exhaust where it belongs down by the axle, have an optional 2 up seat / 1 up cowl and you might have the new updated R Model, or with a few changes a DX Model. Come on H-D you came this far - don't stop at the Sportster, keep pushing & create a V Rod replacement I got 20 K+ waiting for you - my offer still stands for 50K I'll come up there to Millwater and help you do it, and spend 25K back with you to buy the resultant top notch bike - lets get - her -done !! (y) :cool:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Basically a quick bar hopper like the Sportster name implies - install a normal front tire, headlight, twin discs, drop the exhaust where it belongs down by the axle, have an optional 2 up seat / 1 up cowl and you might have the new updated R Model, or with a few changes a DX Model. Come on H-D you came this far - don't stop at the Sportster, keep pushing & create a V Rod replacement I got 20 K+ waiting for you - my offer still stands for 50K I'll come up there to Millwater and help you do it, and spend 25K back with you to buy the resultant top notch bike - lets get - her -done !! (y) :cool:
I’ll show you some decent roads while you’re here! 😎

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I'd love to do it Ceigenberger ! - if H-D lets the possibilities of this platform stop at this Sportster I'm going to just have to personally pay for the psychological evaluation of all upper management staff - I mean have you ever heard of looking a gift horse in the mouth ? They squandered the V Rod platform for stupid reasons so who gives a shit what the faithful say - they're all dead in a few years anyway - BUILD THE NEW V ROD BIKE !! WE WILL COME WITH MONEY AND SAVE YOUR FUKIN' COMPANY !! I mean really - create a new R Model and a DX Model and we'll all be happy, bring money and continue the legacy that Willie G and the V Rod started - I'm IN ! If not, you're on your own H-D - (y) :cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I kind of like it. Enjoyed watching that video but could've done without the gratuitous dialogue at the castle but stuff like that is normal. Not a fan of the way the exhaust pipes ride up high but overall I like it. Not trading in my V-Rod anytime soon for this or any other motorcycle but it's nice to know things like this are available.

·
Registered
62 Posts
REV2 in a Sportster :( why? Then take the 150 HP dirt bike (LOL) motor, make it SLOWER and put it in a SPORTSTER?
Looks much more nimble then a VROD, but like others are saying not trading in my VROD for a newer, slower, uglier motor Sportster. I would rather ride the dirt bike-Pan American.

With the VROD and the Pan American I think Harley finally made some great steps forward in time. But then they drop the best motor they ever made "REV1" and the VROD. I understand their base buyers didn't/don't like them mainly because of sound and displacement. But their base riders are getting very old LOL (I'm one of them the old guys). They really need to get young people hooked on Harley. Both my sons opted out of Harley over speed and pricing. Lets hope they bring back VROD with a faster REV2 motor.

If that never happens which I doubt it will, then I'm buying another project VROD (CHEAP & BROKEN). And figuring out a way to put the REV2 motor out of a Pan American in it! LOL

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I think it's a hell of an improvement on the old Sportster - a night and day change so kudo's to H-D ! I think they will sell even better than the Pan Am because it's basically a powerful city bike with that 3 gallon tank, and it's light and nimble enough for country and mountain twisty riding, as long as you have enough gas stations along the way. Now imagine that basic platform with a larger fuel tank, longer two up wheelbase and seat and the other changes I mentioned - that's the V Rod replacement but I seriously doubt they'd use the V Rod name again, it just has undeserved negative connotations from the H-D faithful. Call it what you want H-D if it's good I'll buy it - and keep my V Rod alongside my old Triumph. Yea, I wanna ride the new Sportster to check out that engine and platform's potential for a two up V Rod replacement, and I bet it's very capable. When H-D's done with the V Rod replacement they should build a light weight Sport Touring bike as well and get the max use out of that Revo Max engine and platform - if so just maybe they actually learned something from squandering the V Rod engine and frame platform for 15 years, never really doing anything like a shorter wheelbase Naked or a Sport Touring bike with it. Hope they build a V Rod replacement and a Sport Touring bike with the Revo Max platform - that's how you save an old floundering M/C company - bring in the common platform future, efficient and cost effective as a base for each model - build them from there and we will come & buy H-D ! (y):cool:

·
Registered
421 Posts
The new Sporty is an awesome bike! If I were in the market for that type of bike. I would seriously consider it. I see a CVO coming shortly, tuned for more power. At 500 lbs with 120hp and over 90 ft lbs. It is already a runner. Should smoke our current VROD's. The caveat is the same one HD can't seem to ever get right. PRICE!. Not many are gonna drop 15 to 17 large for a Sporty. Just like they won't drop 30k on an Electric naked bike (They have recently dropped the price on them by almost 9 grand). And just like most won't drop 40+ large for a CVO Ultra. 20k+ for any Softail. Nice bikes with modern performance at a price point folks can afford is something you will never see from the MoCo. I'm good with my VROD and Goldwings. If I were to buy any other bike at this point. It would be a used VMAX.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,182 Posts
It would be a used VMAX.
Now I digress. When I bought my '06 CVO V-Rod, I had an '85 Vmax in the garage. The V-Rod seemed like a dog to the Vmax (and that wasn't even the 2nd gen Vmax). So to remedy that, I turbo'ed my V-Rod. All those bikes are gone now, and being older in age, my '07 VRSCDX is fast enough. I would like to test ride a 2nd gen Vmax though - but not buy one.

Now back to the sportster. If I were Jay Leno, I'd buy one. And any CVO dream/VRod replacement we think up with the new Revo engine. But, sadly, I have to live on a budget ;).

Reactions: streetrodracer

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I always wanted the REVO1 motor in a Buell. Since this new Sporty is available with mid controls, it might end up being the Buell I never had...with mid controls, it might even give the Ducati monstor and Indian FTR a run for their money. Definitely not a VRod, but some good possibilities nonetheless. I think I need to test ride...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Here is a good write up on the new Sportster S. And the differences in the Pan Am bikes Rev Max 1250. And the Sportster's 1250T. Lots of differences in the engines. Really interested in seeing what else they do with this Engine platform.

·
Registered
62 Posts
"The motors are different" The first thing I noticed they lowered the compression on the Sportster S it only has 12:1 instead of 13:1 in the Pan American.

I have no idea why Harley hates horse power? Harley started as RACE BIKES. But for some reason when it comes to street bikes they just UNDER POWER them. Give this Revolution 2 engine a bump UP in HP 150 to 180+ and put it in a cruiser, drop the pipes and I will get one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The spec's say "Final Drive Chain" like most Sportsters. But the pictures show a Belt and it's on the left side. I don't remember ever seeing a Sportster with a left side chain or belt. That is the easy way to tell it's a Sportster! LOL But these are some nice 360 pictures.
2021 Sportster S | Harley-Davidson USA

·
EXCELSIOR
8,539 Posts
Sorry, I can't get excited about yet another bike model that HD will take a Ho-Hum attitude about because they don't have a clue how to market it and the "Hanky Head" faithful won't be interested in.
Part of what made the HD mystique was styling based on function, ie. the engine external shapes reflected what was necessary to house the internals. Flat Head, Knuckle head, Shovel Head, Evo, Twin Cam, Milwaukee 8, V-rod.
The engines were works of art as compared to Japanese "Shadows". Honda chose the name well because shine a lamp through it onto a surface and what you see is a cartoon of a V-Twin. Styling of the engines, and I deliberately use the term "Styling" is just that to imitate a V-Twin. They have no "Soul" or appeal aesthetically as the more organic shapes derived through "Form Follows Function" design.
This and the Pan Am are both "Styling" exercises and I personally think they've failed on both counts. The engines look like Japanese caricatures of V-Twin engines, the rest looks over worked. When I was younger and taking art classes and students would turn in paintings for critic the teacher would often say they were "muddy", meaning they had been overworked till the colors or shapes had been blurred or too heavily stylized. These two models have all the hallmark styling cues that HD thinks their faithful want to have.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts