Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer, in the interest of comfort, I had (after several tries) located my hiway pegs outboard. With cold weather, however, I find that the pleasant breeze that went up my pantleg isn't so pleasant anymore. So here is plan B. Legs are now behind the "lowers". Works well, and I can brake and downshift with my heel, and I can lock my toe under the engine guard (Geezer guard?) and relax my leg muscles.

Attachments

·
1,738 Posts
Daniii:

You are a wealth of information for us codger cuiser owners. I have yet to commit to highway pegs on my engine guards. Have not had the need with the Switchblades. Perhaps before my planned long tour next summer.

Saw beginning of Easy Rider again today and it makes me want to ride the SW. Hope there are gas stations every 100 miles.

Fred

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a family reunion in Wenatchee next June. Hoping I can bring the bike up for a long ride.

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
I too wanted to take advantage of highway pegs, however I wasn't too keen on getting the engine guards (just my opinion). Therefore, I decided to rig up my own peg mounts. I simply had a machinest create the piece you see so that the existing frame bolt would hold it in place. Then I bought the reduced controls piece so I can swivel it in any direction and keep it in place with a set screw. The only thing I have left to do is chrome the piece - didn't have time, I wanted to use it before the snow started to fly!

I have used it briefly but so far like it. My feet are high enough that I really don't have a problem with the wind blowing up my pants, however they aren't too high where it becomes uncomfortable. Besides, it's just a matter of backing off the set screw and moving the extended controls to where I want them (lower or higher, in or out).

This was simply an experiment just to see what it would look like and how practicle it would be. So far I am pleased with them. They are not too visible (and will blend in more I think once I get them chromed), which was important to me, and are quite comfy.

Craig

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
Craig! Great idea! If I didn't already have the engine guards, I'd be asking' for the # to your machinist! Looks good, and I'm sure they'll look when they're chromed! (Doesn't everything)

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate the comments. It took me a while to figure out exactly what I wanted, but in the end I think I got there ;)
And you're right, I think it will look even better once chromed!

Craig

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent!!

·
1,738 Posts
Daniii: Bring the bike by all means. Wenatchee area (Lake Chelan, Okanagon, and either the North Cascade Highway, or up into Pentictian/Kelona, BC, are wonderful rides. Wenatchee as you problable know is 3 hours from Seattle. If you want company, I would love to join you.

Fred

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fred - I'll be in touch before next June..
Ok now I have a question. With the slotted footpegs, does the metal part go in front or in back? fehrc has them both ways....

·
1,738 Posts
Daniii: They are supposed to go forward like you have them, I think that you are supposed to rest the back of your boots on angled metal part.

Fehrc is just confused by the visor issue and trying to cover his bets.

Fred:D

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Fehrc: Great idea! It looks like what I have been looking for! I too don't want the highway bars. I think that they are ugly...

Now to find a person to make them in large quantities so the price is a little lower, and already chromed..... Hey ChopperSteve, are you listening???? :D

-Bry

·
Registered
582 Posts
Guys,

The stock peg mounts tend to snap off in a crash- this protects the frame sorta like nylon mushrooms. With the peg mounts shown in the picture (connected via frame joining bold) I'd be worried that a reasonably benign low side would result in a new frame...

Other than that a very creative solution!

Cheers,

rodman:2cents

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Daniii and V-Fred, normally I am confused ;) but this time there is some logic as to why I have the highway pegs mounted in reverse. A lot of the times when I use the pegs I rest the back of my ankle on the peg and with the metal part facing the front I found that my feet always wanted to slip off (because they were resting on the metal and not the rubber). However, with the rubber mounted forward I don't have this problem. I suppose I could still mount them the correct way and simply twist them so that the metal is facing down (this way I'd always have contact with the rubber), however I think this might look a liitle strange.

Bry, you're right, it would be nice to find someone to make them in larger quantities cuz these things were not cheap to have made - but then again custom stuff never is.

Rodman, you may be right and to be honest I never gave this any thought. Let's just hope this never happens!

Craig

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
rodman said:
Guys,

The stock peg mounts tend to snap off in a crash- this protects the frame sorta like nylon mushrooms. With the peg mounts shown in the picture (connected via frame joining bold) I'd be worried that a reasonably benign low side would result in a new frame...

Other than that a very creative solution!

Cheers,

rodman:2cents
I have yet to see a picture of an incident where the stock peg mounts "snapped off". Most of the time the frame bends in this area. You need to replace the frame section along with the attached parts.

·
Registered
582 Posts
MR_KING said:
I have yet to see a picture of an incident where the stock peg mounts "snapped off". Most of the time the frame bends in this area. You need to replace the frame section along with the attached parts.

I could be wrong, but I was speaking to my the service mgr at my dealership, he's a pretty straight guy. He made the comments when I asked about installing crash mushrooms. I've had my Roadking over on the crash bars once or twice, they've saved the paint and the bags.

I'll ask him specifically next time I'm in the shop.

Don't get me wrong - this is a very clever spot to put the peg mount... in fact, if someone wanted to they could build frame protecting sliders into a similar design.

Rodman

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
here is a pic of what can happen with engine guards.

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Dan

:eek:

Did you replace the removable frame piece, was it reparable? Difficult to make it out but it looks like the frame tube buckled.

It's a shame that the crash bar didn't save the shifter mount!

Thanks for posting this!

Rodman.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Mine was buckled in the same manner, cept a "little" more back! ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Now that we're talking about highway bars.
Do you guys who have them, like them?
Do they limit your leaning angle?
Do they really protect the bike and the legs?

I've been thinking about getting them next spring, but not sure if they live up up to what they say they do.
So I figure I'll ask the ones who really know--> The ones who actually have them!

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Saved my butt on a 2mph drop at a gas station in North Vegas. It had just poured and the gas station was really slick. While pulling up to fill up, the bike just slid right out from under me! It landed on the saddlebag and the engine guard. I ended up with a small scratch on the engine guard, and that's it! Without the guard, I'm sure I would've been replacing peg, grip, mirror, etc.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts