Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I ran into it the other day - I think? From a technical standpoint what happens when you hit the rev limiter? I was accelerating real hard up through 2nd gear, about to shift into 3rd and all of a sudden the engine started to cut out, spit-sputter, etc. I was coming up on slight curve anyway so I just rolled out of the throttle and let it coast back to a normal speed. Everything seemed OK, it just caught me by surprise. If I had been smart enough or fast enough I might have noticed what my RPM's were or even the speed, but since I was watching where I was going - I did not notice. Anyway, I am sure that a lot of you have had this or something like this happen - and I know that I was way up there in the RPM range. So is that how the Rev Limiter works? causes the engine to miss?
Thanks for your responses.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
I can tell you that hitting the rev limiter is not a sin, but don't bang it off of it every time you twist it. I see guys at the track doing it all of the time like it is a neccessity! I probably hit mine about 1 out of 3 times i'm on it.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
there is also an early limiter if the motor is not up to temp.. that occurs about 8000 rpm if the motor isn`t up to temp..

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Rev Limiter - ECM cuts fuel & spark.

No big deal - it can be moved up by most aftermarket tuners (or SEPST). These motors will safely rev WAY UP THERE (like 10-11K), and there's still power to be had there on a mid-wild mod setup.

Problem with most tuners though is, their RPM vs TPS map usually only goes to 9,000 (in the case of SEPST for example), so you have to max out fuel on the last 100% TPS/9,000 RPM cell and hope it fuels enough to keep you safely rich and still making power...

Rick

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
The rev limiter does keep the values and rods happy and where they belong... It also acts as a good 2-step at the dragstrip for when you want those hard launches.......You can adjust the rev limiter with the SERT/Super Tuner only other system that allows this is the PC-V and it only allows you to add 300 RPM over stock...No point in going over 10k unless your looking to increase top speed by a few more MPH, most stock bikes quit making power around 8800 RPM or so.....

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
The rev limiter does keep the values and rods happy and where they belong... It also acts as a good 2-step at the dragstrip for when you want those hard launches.......You can adjust the rev limiter with the SERT/Super Tuner only other system that allows this is the PC-V and it only allows you to add 300 RPM over stock...No point in going over 10k unless your looking to increase top speed by a few more MPH, most stock bikes quit making power around 8800 RPM or so.....
and ThunderMax which allows you to raise the limiter where ever you want it.

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
... all of a sudden the engine started to cut out, spit-sputter, etc. ... So is that how the Rev Limiter works? causes the engine to miss? ...
Yep.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
And is useless for anything other than pipes & aircleaner (cough cough) - a la' the legendary TMax "7K RPM Rev Limiter Effect".

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Rick

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess that I feel better now that I know that there is a little more room before I break something. Thanks to all of you for this information.

Man, this thing is fun to ride!!

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Ditto fer me.I can feel the pull flatten out not far after 8200 or so.

Hmmmmmm.

Flatten out after 8,200, eh?

I could probably make power to about 9,700 if the tuning tables in SEPST went over 9,000...

Rick

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
:rofl2:
Hardly a stock ride that you have there
That's what I was thinking.

Peak HP, as well as torque and curves can all be manipulated to design. A simple pipe change can move peak. I think stock is around 8200? But a really close look and he is leveling off around mid 8's.

·
06 VRSCD TraskTurbo
25 Posts
You can adjust the rev limiter with the SERT/Super Tuner only other system that allows this is the PC-V and it only allows you to add 300 RPM over stock
Both the T-Max and the Daytona Twin Tec will adjust the rev limit too.

·
Muscle Man
868 Posts
there is also an early limiter if the motor is not up to temp.. that occurs about 8000 rpm if the motor isn`t up to temp..
I thought it was coming in a little early, but wasn't looking.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
... and the TTS Mastertune, which allows you to set it whereever you want it as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts