Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if my dealer reused my exhaust gasket after having the headers off to do my aim unit could that be responsble for my bike having hicups and slight popping ,>?????

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
I would say no if they are not leaking. If it's leaking, then, probably...

FWIW I have reused exhaust gaskets before with no problems. Recheck the torque on the fasteners to be sure.

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
It could, check tightness as stated above if that does not fix problem then replace gaskets.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im waiting on service manual ,what torque should they be,and if they are leaking ,would i hear them or is there something i can do to check for leakage,,,,thanks

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Here is a coplete list of torque settings http://www.1130cc.com/?page=torque.

Make sure that the clamp to the heads sat even. When I did mine I noticed it a had cocked while tightening down and was not seating properly.

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
If I remember those don't have much torque on them so don't over-do it.
I think Dungeonworks recomended taking like a cigar and holding the smoke close to the gaskets to see any leaks. That sounds simple enough.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks jsc that sounds like good idea,,not happy about cigar smell but im sure i can find something smokey,,,,,,,BRILLIANT

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Do not waste a good cigar, spray some wd40 you will here a change if they do leak, I use new ones.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Always possible but I re-use exhaust gaskets all the time and never had a problem.

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
Max said:
Always possible but I re-use exhaust gaskets all the time and never had a problem.

Ive had my exhaust on and off probably 10 times and have always used the same gaskets with no issues.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it might not be the gasket but i have to try the easierst things first ,need to find that hiccup or little pop,,,i drives me crazy,,,,lol

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
JSC said:
I think Dungeonworks recomended taking like a cigar and holding the smoke close to the gaskets to see any leaks. That sounds simple enough.
Another way that is easier is to take a towel and wad it up to hold over the end of the pipe.. when you do that, you will be able to hear the exhaust leak if there is one..

Another sure sign is a little carbonized blow-by that can be seen possibly.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
found my problem,wasnt reusing gasket at all, it was stupid stealer didnt do up the exhaust on the headers or where it joins together any where near tight enough,,,,tightened it upnow and no more popping ,,,,woooohoooooooo,,,just once i would like to get my bike back and be able to give them a ten out of ten,,i cant see that ever happening at this stealer,

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
A good way to always find exhaust leaks is a simple piece of heater hose. One end to your ear and walk the pipes with the other. It won't take rocket science to know when you hit the leak. :)

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks max im good for now ,but what is heater hose,,,and please dont say a hose that goes on your heater,,,,lol

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
bwds said:
thanks max im good for now ,but what is heater hose,,,and please dont say a hose that goes on your heater,,,,lol
Hose that goes on your heater. :)

On a car it is the hose used to carry the hot water to the core inside the car. You can get it at any autoparts store. Usually about 3 feet of 3/4 inch hose works very well. You could probably use an old piece of garden hose also.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok im stupid ,,,lol,,, i didnt think of car heater hose was looking in at the house heater and thinking i cant see a hose,,,,,lol,,,

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
Is it absolutely critical to have gaskets in the exhaust headers? Reason I ask is that I have been utterly unsuccessful in getting the gaskets to stay in place while I place the exhaust. I mangle them, move them etc but just cannot get them to stay so I left them out. I will check for leaks today, if there are none, is this going to damage anything?

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
JSC said:
Yeah Jeff, but you really need to have one for each buddy in the garage during the test...and some beer because they may make your throat dry :D

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
bwds said:
found my problem,wasnt reusing gasket at all, it was stupid stealer didnt do up the exhaust on the headers or where it joins together any where near tight enough,,,,tightened it upnow and no more popping ,,,,woooohoooooooo,,,just once i would like to get my bike back and be able to give them a ten out of ten,,i cant see that ever happening at this stealer,
Make sure the service manager is aware of the problem and your displeasure. They can't fix a problem if they are unaware one exists.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts