Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Nice forum.

I'm returning to riding after 10 years off the bikes, but have 20 years riding before that. My promise to myself was that when my son turned ten I'd return to two wheels. He's 10 and it's springtime...so this time I can step up to it again.

Previous 5 bikes were Italian and (at first) Japanese, but I'm absolutely impressed by the V-Rod styling and performance. I've got a few specific questions for the experienced owners out there after doing my reading:

1. Is used with 2-4K miles meaningfully riskier than buying new, assuming it's appears visually well maintained and I have it checked by a Dealer? Are the 2003 or 2004 models meaningfully better in maintenance or features than 2002? Any major teething problems appear in 2002 machines, vs. '03 and '04? In other words, is it really worth the premium to buy a new V-rod?

2. Though I don't want to fit the cafe-racer "crouch" position any more, is the sit-up-straight position of the V-rod a problem in highway cruising? Any peg relocation solutions (further back)? Windshield solutions that don't look like a 50's police bike?

3. Is there a good quality, comfortable but appropriately styled seat for occasonial two-up rides? It appears the stock seat is pretty limited for the passenger.

4. Is there a modified fuel tank assembly that adds more range between fills?

Thanks for your ideas and I'm in the market for an essentially stock V-rod, well maintained, with records and warranty. A 1/2 day's ride (Boston to Washington, out to Cleveland) from Northern NJ would be nice.

Best to all ---

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
1. Is used with 2-4K miles meaningfully riskier than buying new, assuming it's appears visually well maintained and I have it checked by a Dealer? Are the 2003 or 2004 models meaningfully better in maintenance or features than 2002? Any major teething problems appear in 2002 machines, vs. '03 and '04? In other words, is it really worth the premium to buy a new V-rod?
All year model bikes are basically the same other than the 04 VRSCB's have different bars and a 28th front pulley.
2. Though I don't want to fit the cafe-racer "crouch" position any more, is the sit-up-straight position of the V-rod a problem in highway cruising? Any peg relocation solutions (further back)? Windshield solutions that don't look like a 50's police bike?
The sit up position does tend to throw you back as the wind hits you.
you can relocate the pegs in our out with kits available.
There are a couple of choices about windshields, including the sport, super sport, wind vest and some others.
3. Is there a good quality, comfortable but appropriately styled seat for occasonial two-up rides? It appears the stock seat is pretty limited for the passenger.
The HD sundowner seat is a great seat from what owners have said that have made the switch as well as the Corbin dual tour seat.

No luck there, although some people have made there own means of adding more fuel, such as a modified air box that has a built in tank and saddle bags that hold more fuel.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
welcome to here!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
:welcome: I think Shawn pretty well covered your questions. Hope you find a good one, and join the ranks! The bikes and owners are both great!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have an '04 model an absoultly love the sundowner seat! Left the dealer with 5 miles on it and 48 hours later had 580 miles on it. No problems with Sundowner!! WELCOME!!

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I bought mine with 3500 miles on it (dealer demo). With 11000 now, no problems at all. And no wait for the break-in! Windshields are a personal taste issue. Us older guys tend to like them (HD Touring shield, maybe with Memphis Shade lowers), style be damned. But it comes off in seconds.
The Sundowner is a must.

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all

For all of your thoughts and good wishes. I'm looking forward to my search for a good bike -- and if you know of anyone with a quality one to sell (stock or near stock is my preference), please ask them to contact me.

And Danii, from what I can see on your pic they've made a lot of progress in windshield design. That one looks pretty nice. I'm of the generation that remembers Vetter Fairings the size of a small house....

Best to all--

·
Registered
204 Posts
Welcome!!!!!!!!!

Go with a vrod!!!!!!!!!!!I've had 7 Harley's and this is the best! fredfryguy:angeldev: :laugh:

·
Registered
13 Posts
banglenot said:
Folks,

Nice forum.

I'm returning to riding after 10 years off the bikes, but have 20 years riding before that. My promise to myself was that when my son turned ten I'd return to two wheels. He's 10 and it's springtime...so this time I can step up to it again.

Previous 5 bikes were Italian and (at first) Japanese, but I'm absolutely impressed by the V-Rod styling and performance. I've got a few specific questions for the experienced owners out there after doing my reading:

Thanks for your ideas and I'm in the market for an essentially stock V-rod, well maintained, with records and warranty. A 1/2 day's ride (Boston to Washington, out to Cleveland) from Northern NJ would be nice.

Best to all ---
The only difference between 02-03 and the 04 is the 28 tooth gear which gives the bike a little more low end torque. The 04 comes with the 28 tooth drive gear, but you can change for $ 125.00. I changed mine out to 28 tooth because the 03 of mine would stall if not given enough throddle while low speed handling. The VROD engine LOVES -repeat LOVES high RPM's and comes alive at about 4000, so low end torque is weak at low RPM's. The absolute best seat is the Sundowner with passenger pillion, and after 3990 miles to Sturgis I should know. As for touring: I put a Tbag on passenger pillion, lean back on it and have foot rests on the crash bar and quite frankly it was better than a recliner. The turn back handlebars is A MUST. I toured 3990 miles to Sturgis and back and then 1690 to Daytona and back and it is an incredible bike. They are TRULY performance/touring bikes and the extra horsepower is awesome on the interstates. VROD is THE ONE. R. Rogers

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I'm with you Roy. 2500 miles on the Daytona run. I'm running the stock '03 drive, and wouldn't want anything else. When cruising at 85 in 5th, it is perfect (about 5K rpm). Open er up and off she goes. The touring shield is also nice (but look for threads on the memphis shade lowers - they help).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts