Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 04 B used in July 08. Bub 2/2 pipes, Sundowner seat, back rest, bags, Rev tech DFO, heavily modded air box. Unlike most on here, I've slowly found that I prefer this bike in stock form. Didn't like the noise of the open air box so I got a stock one. Put the original seat on just to see how uncomfortable it really was (I've had it on over a year now and it suits me just fine). Today I finally got the last little parts I needed to hang the stock exhaust on. I've never rode the bike with stock exhaust but from the short ride I just returned on it's going to be a pleasure to go on highway road trips and not have to mess with ear plugs. My hearing has already been damaged from riding without them sometimes. I now know why some people don't think their pipes are loud.... mine got "quieter" over time for sure:)

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
I know what you mean. I dislike the horrid racket my bike makes - it makes coming in and out of the house embarrassing.

However, the stock system weighs too much, and I suspect my D&D is providing a fair power boost over and above what the better tuning does.

Unfortunately, in the US there seems to be no demand for something between stock and absurdly noisy.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I know what you mean. I dislike the horrid racket my bike makes - it makes coming in and out of the house embarrassing.

However, the stock system weighs too much, and I suspect my D&D is providing a fair power boost over and above what the better tuning does.

Unfortunately, in the US there seems to be no demand for something between stock and absurdly noisy.
You used to be able to get these Screamin' Eagles which weren't too bad. This video has them unmodified and modified.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Bought my 04 B used in July 08. Bub 2/2 pipes, Sundowner seat, back rest, bags, Rev tech DFO, heavily modded air box. Unlike most on here, I've slowly found that I prefer this bike in stock form. Didn't like the noise of the open air box so I got a stock one. Put the original seat on just to see how uncomfortable it really was (I've had it on over a year now and it suits me just fine). Today I finally got the last little parts I needed to hang the stock exhaust on. I've never rode the bike with stock exhaust but from the short ride I just returned on it's going to be a pleasure to go on highway road trips and not have to mess with ear plugs. My hearing has already been damaged from riding without them sometimes. I now know why some people don't think their pipes are loud.... mine got "quieter" over time for sure:)
I couldn't stand the stock seat back in '02 but I tried it again last year and it wasn't so bad. It used to feel like a nasty wedgie but it must have gotten firmer over the years because my @ss sure didn't.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't get me wrong... I much prefered the "look" of the bubs. But the stupid noise they made sucked bad. I don't think they ever sounded "good" no matter what rpm. I agree Louis.... if i see a pipe that looks like the bub, but at a respectable decible level I'd be very interested. Even if the tail pipe section was larger to house some noise dampening.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
You used to be able to get these Screamin' Eagles which weren't too bad. This video has them unmodified and modified.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJJfjD7AErE
yeah, which are the pipes I have....they are fantastic, have volume without being stupid loud. I loathed the day when HD said they were not producing them anymore because ALL the aftermarket exhaust systems are so stinking loud

1 - 6 of 6 Posts