Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everything is changed. hassle to change tires. we had not yet received the manual tire changer, so we did it the old fashioned way with the 3 tire changers; it took a lot of effort to: 1 take off the tire, 2 remove it ;;;;;;
Fortunately it was the front tire ;;;;;
For the rear tire, I received a tire iron ;;;; it is much better but it is still very physical with a 17 year old tire ;;;

Still, that's it, everything is changed ;;;;; and I drove yesterday between two showers ;;;;
Cool, even if at the start after more than 10 years of hiatus, I was not too reassured ;;;; but what a pleasure to find his feelings again ;;; I only drove 20 km to test it and test myself; the goal was to test it, see if the motor responded after 11 years of sleep ;; I'm not shouting victory, but everything was perfect; a small peak at 110km / h;
I do not claim victory too early because how will react the joints; in this short period of time, no worries ;;;; at the dealership they told me that with the bikes that hadn't been run for a long time, some had the gaskets that didn't hold up when restarted.
Do you know after how many milestones you can be safe and tell yourself that it's mission accomplished?
In other words, if the joints fail, when do we notice? Does this occur as soon as you restart or can it happen after a few kms?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I doubt you have problems with the gaskets on the engine. Just have to ride it and see. A more likely problem is the breather tube o-ring flattens out from sitting and leaks oil. It usually looks like a head gasket is leaking. But it is the o-ring or the tubes themselves that are leaking. Congrats on getting it going again! You will have a lot of fun with it.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
If any bike can be revived easily it's the V Rod ! And that's for sure - it's one of the best most reliable M/C's H-D ever made but remember it's still a machine and inactivity creates problems for machines. Just ride it close to home base for the first 50 miles or so and inspect everything before & after each ride looking for trouble - eventually you may want to do additional maintenance like swingarm & steering stem bearing greasing, new fork oil, another engine oil change in a thousand miles or so etc. Lots of suggested items in your owners manual if you still have it - Ride careful and yea, go have fun with it ! Ride 'em don't hide 'em ! (y)

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for these tips; emptying the Forks before the dealer asks for 160 €. Arggg. I don’t know if it’s easy to do, but you’re right it has to be done. must we go through the concession necessarily? concerning the first 100 km, I can't wait to do them. I went on vacation without my motorbike because I couldn't see myself doing 600 miles right now. As soon as I get home, I'll be riding,

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
If you can pull your back wheel and replace tire you can do fork oil replacement. Be sure to have H-D service manual and follow instructions, it's not rocket science if you have the time - I've found most times I can get the job done in the time it takes to transfer the bike to the dealer, check it in, wait a week to get it done and arrange to pick it up, pay for it and get it home. Big waste of time & money. I just do it myself and forgo all that B/S for my own sanity and for more closeness to the machine I depend on for my own safety & life - (y) :cool:

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks. In the Manuel they say that we must use a Fork tube holder (hd 41177). What do u think ?
is this tool mandatory?

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
No I did mine without it - simply remove the upper fork cap with the forks in place on the triple clamps before you remove them to dump the old oil out - bike must be on a lift with front wheel off the ground - beware of spring pressure use a socket on a speed handle to unscrew it while you push down on the fork cap to overcome the spring pressure. You'll need a big friend to help push down on it to restart the fork cap without stripping it after new fork oil is put in. Wear safety glasses in case the cap pops up and be careful. You might want to ride the bike for a while and shake out any other potential operational problems first and do the fork oil later on - just a thought. (y) :cool:

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went for a walk around my vacation spot by car and I went to the Harley Davidson dealership in La Rochelle. Very nice welcome, but nice but the person selling the accessories and consumables was not able to find the amount of fork oil I needed. I therefore left without ;;; arfff

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Go to another M/C shop most sell fork oil by Bel Ray, Maxima etc. mainly for off road bikes but it's all the same fluid on or off road what was your stock fluid 20 Wt or 10 Wt ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts