Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright everyone, need some advice. I was changing out my grips and after taking off the switch housing on my throttle side, I noticed the push cable of my throttle cables was completely snapped (my throttle has been sticking a little bit lately but not enough for me to think that this was what was wrong). Obviously I need to replace it. The pull cable is just as old so I figured I’d replace both. My question is how hard is it to replace a throttle cable? I saw some videos that made it seem not too bad but looking at it on my Night Rod seems like it might be a little outside of my mechanical expertise (which is basic at best). I’d rather do it myself though than take it to a mechanic so I can learn.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
It all starts with the Maintenance & Parts Manuals - follow the M.M. instructions and when you go to remove the old cables be sure to note ( take photos ) at every point along the way. Don't short them out on the battery - Be sure to properly route and adjust the cables correctly and reassemble all items removed correctly - especially the cam cover breather tubes into the bottom of the airbox to avoid oil leaks. This isn't rocket science but you must have patience and some medium level of mechanical ability to rig control cables. H-D shop will be a potential hassle & expensive ( unless they're empty for this crazy CV19 ) so get an estimate and /or combine it with a new tire, oil change etc. to make your visit worthwhile.Whatever you do make sure you get a clean, quick return to idle when you release the throttle from wide open, along with a little snap when it hits the idle stop. If you have any doubts have a motorcycle mechanic do it for you -

1 - 2 of 2 Posts