Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to embark on the task of replacing the rotors on my 2007 VRSCX. They have reached their minimum SO good bye to them.
'
Existing rotors have been on bike since new in 2007 and 175,000 miles on it so I suspect they are welded on to the wheels.
'
Question is just what is the best way to loosen those bolts. I would hate to strip one or more in the process. I think I will get a new socket. They are fastened with Torx bolts. Maybe use a impact wrench or whatever to snap them loose.
'
Anyone know the bolt size so when I have to drill them out I will have the correct taps etc.
'
If you think the worst you will never be disappointed so I am thinking the worst and hopefully be prepared for it when it happens.
'
Any thoughts on what I should prepare for?

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
175,000 miles :notworth: I'm impressed. Not sure I would use an impact on them. Last time I had to deal with torx head bolts that got screwed up, I had to weld a nut on the head of it to get it out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven't had to take mine off yet but one of the old rules when dealing with bolts that have been in place for many years is to try to tighten them just a bit before trying to remove them. That little turn to the right before trying to remove them sometimes helps break them free.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Rusty you may want to check the washers when you get the bolt's out and make sure they are not broke if your rotors is the same as older vrods the washers is not made flat they will be a little curved I was at the rally at kc one time and a guy was telling one of the worker there that his bike was new and front brake did not feel right he gave him some washers and told him to see if any was broke and sure enough that night I watched him take the bolt's out and 2 or 3 washer's was broke . I don't know the reason they are like that but there is a lot of thing's I don't know.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I feel more relaxed now. I replaced the front laced wheel some time ago with a slotted wheel from a 06 DX I believe. Rotors are a bit different but I have a parts catalog from the model I used.
'
BTW. I decided to attempt loosening some of the bolts just to see if I could break the seal. Using a Torx socket and a breaker bar The bolts released almost like they had never been torqued in the first place. Very easy. I tried 4 bolts on the front and all came loose very easily.
This really surprised me since the rotors have been on there for at least 100K miles and 10 years.
I assume Harley says to replace the bolts whenever you replace the rotors. I will check with the service manual on that one however. My Road King manual says they can be reused twice I believe.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have hit a snag. The front bolts appear to loosen relatively easy but the back wheel bolts are real tight.
I will take suggestions for heat and smacking them with drift etc the next time I pull the wheel to replace the tire. Maybe find a pro if that does not work. I got lots of money and am getting lazy in my old age.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I have hit a snag. The front bolts appear to loosen relatively easy but the back wheel bolts are real tight.
I will take suggestions for heat and smacking them with drift etc the next time I pull the wheel to replace the tire. Maybe find a pro if that does not work. I got lots of money and am getting lazy in my old age.
Yup, the rears have a full torque on the head to disc unlike the fronts that never seem to be real tight. Heat will be tough due to overall conduction but any heat is better then no heat. I'd smack them once and retry. If you have really good fitting torx bits and impact would work but if not great fit, slow and easy with johnson bar. Impact to me is a last resort but it's amazing what they will break free when the normal method seems to fail. They should come out with hand only however.
Ron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.