Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the service manual to discover how to do this. It is very non-explicit on how to access and remove the front plug.
It says to:

7. remove the battery.
8. Remove front spark plug.

I have had my battery out on my VRSCX and there is a large immovable metal box it sits in. This box appears to be welded to the frame or some such other immovable object and is not about to be removed.

So how does one do step 8?

I assume there is a coil sitting on top of it which has to be removed

Also once I get into this what problems can I expect to encounter?

At this point I am not sure I even have the correct socket with retaining plug. I have several but I am sure Harley came up with a unique one for this project.:eek: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
RustyG said:
Went to the service manual to discover how to do this. It is very non-explicit on how to access and remove the front plug.
It says to:

7. remove the battery.
8. Remove front spark plug.

I have had my battery out on my VRSCX and there is a large immovable metal box it sits in. This box appears to be welded to the frame or some such other immovable object and is not about to be removed.

So how does one do step 8?

I assume there is a coil sitting on top of it which has to be removed

Also once I get into this what problems can I expect to encounter?

At this point I am not sure I even have the correct socket with retaining plug. I have several but I am sure Harley came up with a unique one for this project.:eek: :banghead: :banghead:

I believe the bolts holding the coils are allen head....Hopefully you have some that are attached to 3/8" socket bases.....Remove the bolts, use a long handle screwdriver to pop the coil top away from the head....Regular spark plug socket with a rubber insert works fine....Remember to stretch the springs a little that go between the coils and the plugs before replacing the coils. Easy job, hardest part is taking the battery out which is pretty easy too....Stretch strap over the brace that secures the front of the air box cover or your play hell getting it back on later...

·
Retired Devil Dog
148 Posts
Do the rear plug first, easier to see what is going on first time......DC

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Rusty all of need is a nice extension...piece of cake!!!

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JDR_ROD said:
Rusty all of need is a nice extension...piece of cake!!!
Piece of cake HUH. Nothing comes easy for me. I can't even get those damn turn signal connectors apart.

SVC manual documents removal of the rear plug. I assume front plug is the same except for the battery thing.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Rusty I haven't looked in the VRSCX area but I think it's still the same. The battery just hangs over the edge of the box enough that you have to remove the battery to get the front plug out. As others mention do the rear first to get a good idea. The two bolts that hold the coil down is all you need to pull on the rear and then pull the coil straight up while you twist it back and forth. Also what is not mentioned is to make sure and stretch the spring in the coil boot while you have it apart so it makes good contact on both ends.

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Folks. I will post a note to myself about that coil stretching process. Hopefully I stretch the right ones.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
It's actually easier on the 07's because the battery strap has been relocated and it goes back on without using my special body appendage.

I also coat the rubber boots w dielectric cream and the coil bolt threads w never seize.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Do you guys go by the book on how often to change the plugs or is there a general consensus around here on when to do them?

·
Chuck
2,292 Posts
Max said:
Rusty I haven't looked in the VRSCX area but I think it's still the same. The battery just hangs over the edge of the box enough that you have to remove the battery to get the front plug out. As others mention do the rear first to get a good idea. The two bolts that hold the coil down is all you need to pull on the rear and then pull the coil straight up while you twist it back and forth. Also what is not mentioned is to make sure and stretch the spring in the coil boot while you have it apart so it makes good contact on both ends.
:them: And don't remove the battery bungee cord. Just pull it up over the 2 holes that the airbox mounting prongs go into.

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bulkman said:
:them: And don't remove the battery bungee cord. Just pull it up over the 2 holes that the airbox mounting prongs go into.
I learned that one on my VRSCA some time back.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Bulkman said:
It's different on the 07's.On the early style you can use an old headlight spring installer or make one,they look similar to a seam ripper used in sewing.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I have been changing my plugs every 5,000 miles. I know in the manual it says inspect then change 5,000 miles later. I figure of you are going to go through the motions to inspect them you might as well change them.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
It's actually easier on the 07's because the battery strap has been relocated and it goes back on without using my special body appendage.

I also coat the rubber boots w dielectric cream and the coil bolt threads w never seize.

Elrod on the V-Rod
:them:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts