Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I had post this prior on "V-TwinFORUM.com". (with a picture) http://205.214.91.71/forums/showthread.php?t=29646.

Basically I went around a bend one early morning. Saw what was a narrow stream on ice. (It was). I did slowed it down to about 5-10mph. (Should of made a u-turn). Anyway, it did go down and seems like the major visible damage was to the lower elbow, caused from the clutch peg being pushed inboard. I'm about to order the part and do a RR. I'm trying to get a service manual in this aid. Was wondering if any of you have gone through this process and could give me some lessons learn. Thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
373 Posts
Dwight said:
I also did right side. 45 minutes tops with no wrenching experience what so ever. Dwight
Me too. Dropped it with 16 mils. Did it my self 45 min $125.00 for new right elbow. Need to bled rear brake but dont want to get it nasty.

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
BullDawgs, I remember seeing your post and suggesting that you try bending it back. Did you try that. Mine was bent worse than yours. I took a long pipe, placed it over the footpeg and apllied steady and even pressure. -- No bouncing.
Somebody suggested that block damage might result from doing that..... I couldn't figure that one out, but I'm not an expert either.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Block damage comes from the impact, not straightening, I think. On the left side, there is an upper motor mount. I cracked the block there (but it was a tiny crack, JB Weld hasn't let loose yet)).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to crank it back abit. Part is on order. I did a basic rude inspection with a fashlight. Seems to be fine.

Danii,
How did you find the crack? Did you use some kind of dye?

Haven't gone thru the service manual yet, but is there a torque value for installing the bolts back??

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
The crack was obvious. If you look from the right side, you can see a part of the case that extends forward and captures the bolt from the top engine mount (stabilizer?). The crack extended from front to back, about 1/4", starting at the bolt, right on top. This is apparently not uncommon. But the JB Weld (great stuff) is holding. Probably stronger than stock. I'd take a pic but it is hard to see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts