Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new left-side down tube to put on my B,after Brother dropped it on himself taking a corner,and it kinked where the footpeg/shifter mounts.

How do I go about supporting the bike? I mean, I have a 'sickle jack,but the frame tube hasta come off so I can't use that as a means of support.
Support it with ratchet straps from the garage beams?

Ideas?

TIA,

JIM

·
Wretched Excess.....
2,067 Posts
On my 03, the oil pan actually sits lower than the frame rails. When I replaced my left side rail, I did it in the jack and had no issues. Just make sure the pads of your jack are sitting under the oil pan and under the frame just beyond where the frame rail bolts to the frame. The left side is pretty easy and should go pretty quick.

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
Get an 18" long piece of 1X8 and put it under the oil pan with the length running front to rear. Now use your jack to lift it up and you'll have plenty of room to work with the frame rail. By the way, those bad boys fit snugly so don't think something is wrong when you go to put it back together. Just take your time and be patient.

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys..I'll be tackling it tomorrow <I hope>... will keep you posted.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I just did the same on a left side downtube. I just put it on the lift as usual, and when I took off the left down tube, it had no issues.

Putting on the new one took a little "persuasion" with a small crowbar wrapped in microfibre. I found it easiest to start the threads on the front two bolts, and use my padded "persuasion" bar to lift the bottom two bolts in place to start the bottom two bolts.

You'll see what I mean. Not bad at all.

RJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts