Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my 06 with mids, I was able to get a 17mm deep socket on the rear brake light switch with slim extensions for a 1/4” drive wrench that extend just short of the radiator and was able to torque it. I went in with the 17mm 5/8” socket with 1/4 to 5/8 adapter and one extension between the frame and the area just rearward of the switch, then moved the socket forward with a finger and screwdriver and slipped it onto the switch. I then went from the front by the radiator with another 1/4” extension. Then I put the wrench on. Larger width extensions don’t fit there.

I don’t see why removing the exhaust is necessary if you cover the frame from brake fluid. Is there any compelling reason why the manual says to remove the exhaust? Maybe this method could be of some help to someone doing this job.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
On my 06 with mids, I was able to get a 17mm deep socket on the rear brake light switch with slim extensions for a 1/4” drive wrench that extend just short of the radiator and was able to torque it. I went in with the 17mm 5/8” socket with 1/4 to 5/8 adapter and one extension between the frame and the area just rearward of the switch, then moved the socket forward with a finger and screwdriver and slipped it onto the switch. I then went from the front by the radiator with another 1/4” extension. Then I put the wrench on. Larger width extensions don’t fit there.

I don’t see why removing the exhaust is necessary if you cover the frame from brake fluid. Is there any compelling reason why the manual says to remove the exhaust? Maybe this method could be of some help to someone doing this job.
Probably to pad labor times more then needed. I've seen several cases where the manual took the long way to do something.
Ron

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right, and sometimes removing things causes breakage especially as things get older. I see a touch of rust on bolt threads and breaking a bolt opens another can of worms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts