Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Trouble Maker
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of trying to find someone to make new axles out of Chromoly with the option of having them gun drilled and heat treated for weight savings and strength. I have no idea of cost yet. Obviously the more wanted or ordered the cheaper they will be. I am open to ideas and input. Thanks. Jim

·
Trouble Maker
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If Chromoly or another strong exotic alloy is used the wall thickness could be less at the same strength or greater. Reducing weight in the process. Jim

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I made some from .150 ( if I remember correctly) moly tube. Material was about $20 each and machining about another $40. I'd drop to .090 or .120 if I did it again. No one else was interested. I saved about 1.75 lbs. on the rear.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
I made some from .150 ( if I remember correctly) moly tube. Material was about $20 each and machining about another $40. I'd drop to .090 or .120 if I did it again. No one else was interested. I saved about 1.75 lbs. on the rear.
Man I could save that weight taking a dump! :D

·
Trouble Maker
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More info and pics please. Thanks Jim

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
you want to save weight, there are much better ways to accomplish that. I will say that Titanium Axles are the best way to approach that. You'd have to find someone to machine them for you though. Just by replacing all of my major bolts on my bike with Ti I probably saved about 5lbs.

·
Trouble Maker
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you want to save weight, there are much better ways to accomplish that. I will say that Titanium Axles are the best way to approach that. You'd have to find someone to machine them for you though. Just by replacing all of my major bolts on my bike with Ti I probably saved about 5lbs.
Any ideas on where to start? There was someone on here that made his own but isn't interested on making anymore. Jim

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Switching from a the stock solid front axle on my R to the hollow axle of an XR-1200 (same part number used on '08 and later V-Rods) saved 1.5 lbs. The solid axle is 3 lbs and the hollow 25 mm axle is 1.5 lbs. Now, if I could save 2 lbs off the rear axle I would do it.

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
switching from jack and coke to straight jack has saved me almost 15lbs.. easier mod than making a axle

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
The 08 and newer front axles have a hole all that way through them.
I used the 08 axle on my 2003 with the Buell wheel conversion. The 08 axle is pretty darn light compared to the stock 03. Why go exotic when you can pick these up cheap?

·
Trouble Maker
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used the 08 axle on my 2003 with the Buell wheel conversion. The 08 axle is pretty darn light compared to the stock 03. Why go exotic when you can pick these up cheap?
I wasn't aware of that as an option. I would assume since I have an 09 I already have that? Jim

·
Trouble Maker
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts