Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I pulled the water pump cover off to replace it with a black one I found built up rust on the front two bolts and rust on the outer gasket. I was surprised to see a ton of caked on dried coolant in the pump assembly. I had to vacuum it out. I just wanted to check and see if this is normal. I ordered chrome screws, a new inner and outer gasket as well as the two little orings to replace them. I also plan on using gasket sealer on all mating surfaces too. Anyone else have this problem or suggestions on how to better seal those areas? I have not experienced any overheating or such. My next check is the bolt under the alternator cover like others have had problems with. Thanks for any advice on this.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Did you by any chance get any pictures? What does the coolant in your filler neck and tank look like?

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
smoothrod said:

Yes, I had rust in the exact same place and when I pulled the assembly off, there was a lot of caked dried coolant in the housing. I have never changed the coolant, only 7,000 miles on the bike. The coolant in the bike looks completely clean. How did you remedy the problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is this what I can expect when I pull off the housing? I took mine in for a full diagnostic recently and the HD tech said "it's obviously leaking but I can't figure out where from." Genius apparently did not notice that there is a fairly constant drip from the weep-hole on the housing and that there appears to be coolant coating the crank case. Sound like a new water pump to anybody? The bike only has 1600 miles on it.

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
From lonnie's post all he did was change the gaskets and o rings, so if you pull yours off blaze and find it's leaking past the gasket then all you should need to replace is the gaskets not the pump.

What year is your d kristi? I think it's more of a age deal than mileage, some one brought up in another thread about checking the ph I think of the coolant. I think I'm going to change mine every couple of years from now on.

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nic_a_bod said:
From lonnie's post all he did was change the gaskets and o rings, so if you pull yours off blaze and find it's leaking past the gasket then all you should need to replace is the gaskets not the pump.

What year is your d kristi? I think it's more of a age deal than mileage, some one brought up in another thread about checking the ph I think of the coolant. I think I'm going to change mine every couple of years from now on.

Sounds good, mine is an 06 D. What am I looking for ph wise on the coolant? I have a gizmo I can use to check it. Do you think it might have something to do with the water pump shaft screw under alternator cover not being tight? I won't rest until I check that screw now that I have seen leakage in the assembly. So you think I should not use a gasket sealer? I hate to button everything up and it happen again and not know it. Appreciate all the responses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
nic_a_bod said:
Cool, thanks for the tip man, I'm a virgin at this greasemonkey bizness

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
It was joe that said something about checking the ph in lonnie's thread and didn't post what range it should be in, but I'm going to guess if it's on the acidity side then of the scale then it's bad and needs to be changed. Maybe someone will chime in. Oh joe said he flushes his once a year. Once a year is alittle much imho unless you put a ton of miles on.

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nic_a_bod said:
It was joe that said something about checking the ph in lonnie's thread and didn't post what range it should be in, but I'm going to guess if it's on the acidity side then of the scale then it's bad and needs to be changed. Maybe someone will chime in. Oh joe said he flushes his once a year. Once a year is alittle much imho unless you put a ton of miles on.
OK, here is what I think happened...after Nick said something about the ph I decided to check the jug of Dexcool I had been using to top the coolant off. Thinking it was the 50/50 solution, it was not, it was the pure Dexcool that you have to dilute..both bottles look almost the same. So I had probably poured about 12 ozs of the pure stuff into the system over the course of a year. I wonder if that is what caused the rust. Anyway, I will flush the system with distilled water and refill with 50/50 Dexcool. Thanks for helping me through this.

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
Guys I would just change the gaskets and o rings and you will be fine. I have never had a leak sense I changed mine 8k miles ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bought a replacement cover for my water pump on my '03 VRSCA. The original one was cracking chrome. Is it a decorative cover that can just be removed, or do I need to drain the coolant and replace it and the gasket? If the latter, what is the best way to do it? If you could point me to an old thread on this, I would appreciate it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts