Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to replace the stock grips on my 03 with Kuryakyn ISO grips. Before I start and get myself into trouble (like I did removing the socket terminals in my turn signal relocation), I was wondering if there are any unforeseen pitfalls in the removal and replacement of the grips. Is there anything that I should be particularly careful with respect to? Are there any tricks that anyone has learned to make the changeout go smoothly?

The Kuryakyn instructions direct one to clean the handlebar and the insides of the grips with a solvent. Can anyone recommend a solvent that will do the job effectively? Is there some way to use a solvent to dissolve the glue holding the left side grip so that it doesn't have to be cut off the handlebar?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Once you put the Iso Pro's on, you'll never go back to any other grip. so go ahead and cut the stock ones off. Take a piece of red scotchbryte or 120 grit sandpaper and remove the old glue. Go get yourself a bottle of alcohol (nondrinking kind) from CVS or your local drug store and clean the handlebars real well. Poor some into the grip and slosh it around then wipe dry with a paper towel. Now, follow Kuryakyns directions. As far as the throttle side, watch out for the little brass farells. Dont drop them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you mark the grips and bars to make sure that you position the grips the same on each side when you slide them on? The directions suggest that you only get 1 bite at the apple when you put the glue in the left side because it dries up immediately. What do you think that the best position for the grips is? (What should I have facing straight up when I position them?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In describing the right side procedure, Kuryakyn says to "separate the switch housings. Can anyone tell me what this refers to? Do they actually mean to disassemble the housing holding the ignition and on-off switches?

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
sel said:
In describing the right side procedure, Kuryakyn says to "separate the switch housings. Can anyone tell me what this refers to? Do they actually mean to disassemble the housing holding the ignition and on-off switches?
there are just two bolts holding the housing together. pull the housing apart so you can get to the throttle cables, and as hd-v-rodder said don't drop the little brass farells they aren't connected to the cable they will fall off. and for the possition of the grips just put them in your hand and see what feels best for you. here's a picture of mine :thumb:
http://www.1130cc.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=33843&catid=member&imageuser=13565

·
Nate
3,277 Posts
lakedrunk said:
there are just two bolts holding the housing together. pull the housing apart so you can get to the throttle cables, and as hd-v-rodder said don't drop the little brass farells they aren't connected to the cable they will fall off. and for the possition of the grips just put them in your hand and see what feels best for you. here's a picture of mine :thumb:
http://www.1130cc.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=33843&catid=member&imageuser=13565
:them: Mine required a torx driver, but I can't remember which size, I can look when I get home.

·
Registered
512 Posts
louballs said:
the dealer only charged me $50 bucks to do it, which i thought was reasonable, so i let them. And rodder is right, the iso grips are great. Very soft and comfortable and not slippery at all.

Fifty Bucks.... Sheesh such a generous dealer!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
My fourth set of grips and these are by far the best. Not a hard mod, just take your time and before you loosen your throttle cables mark the position of the stop nut and you will have very little adjustment when you put it back together. I have the pads facing up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts