Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
The HD manual is outstanding. It leaves nothing to guess at.

·
Noel
4,613 Posts
Can you do the electrical diagnostics steps without a break out box or other special equipment?
Depends on what is being investigated, the flow charts can help eliminate basic wiring problems, along with pictorial/layout & schematic diagrams:notworth:

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Can you do the electrical diagnostics steps without a break out box or other special equipment?
I think you could, but it would be more difficult and time consuming. The old way of poking a probe into the back of the appropriate pin on the connectors is still a valid way to test circuits, but since the HD manual does not tell you which pin in each connector to test but rather tells you which pins on the break out box to test, you will have to do a litttle more work to determine which wires correspond to which pins on the break out box.
I'm groveling to some dealers for the privelege of buying the break out boxes.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I've never actually seen one, but from the service manual picture, it wouldn't be hard to make one.

I also didn't know that you couldn't just buy one. Do you know the price?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I've never actually seen one, but from the service manual picture, it wouldn't be hard to make one.

I also didn't know that you couldn't just buy one. Do you know the price?
I bought a few breakout boxs years ago for some of the popular cars I was working on.Thexton was the company that made them.yopu might see if they make some for Harleys.
It would be a good idea to clone one to sell a few dozen or so for a profit.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I checked Thexton, all that was on the web site for Harleys were Deutsch terminal release tools.

Looked through some old threads....Hey Phil, did you ever get that Motoscan tool? It costs a bit to much for my shade tree self.

I'm thinking that if the connectors are $15 each with most of the other stuff from Radio Shack or ebay. Maybe $50 - 60 for parts.

So, is a breakout box a tool worth having if you burn $60 and a day making it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts