Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Si I bought my VRSCDX second hand and the master cilinders where in pretty bad comsetic shape. They ahd been hand touched and with clear marks of brake fluid damaging the paint. This month I am replacing my steering head bearings, and as part of the process I had to disassemble the front brake lines so I decided I might as well repaint the triple trees. Now I'm thinking of tackling the paint issue with the amster cilinders too, as I dont want to desassemble it again.
Has anyone attempted to repaint/powder coat these? Is it doable? Is it just better to repalace them? Or maybe just dont bother as they will keep leaking and get ruined again?

Any thoughts welcome!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Si I bought my VRSCDX second hand and the master cilinders where in pretty bad comsetic shape. They ahd been hand touched and with clear marks of brake fluid damaging the paint. This month I am replacing my steering head bearings, and as part of the process I had to disassemble the front brake lines so I decided I might as well repaint the triple trees. Now I'm thinking of tackling the paint issue with the amster cilinders too, as I dont want to desassemble it again.
Has anyone attempted to repaint/powder coat these? Is it doable? Is it just better to repalace them? Or maybe just dont bother as they will keep leaking and get ruined again?

Any thoughts welcome!
If you powder coat be very careful, You don't want it getting into any of the bores or the reservoir. Painting can be done also without problem and should stick fine if use an etch primer. No need to worry about the leak ruining it if you flush the system and fill it with DOT 5 instead.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you powder coat be very careful, You don't want it getting into any of the bores or the reservoir. Painting can be done also without problem and should stick fine if use an etch primer. No need to worry about the leak ruining it if you flush the system and fill it with DOT 5 instead.
Damn, I already bought my dot 4 fluid. I've read these two types can't be mixed, to replace it for dot 5, is it enough to flush the lines and refill or need new lines?
Might leave it for next round of upgrades.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Damn, I already bought my dot 4 fluid. I've read these two types can't be mixed, to replace it for dot 5, is it enough to flush the lines and refill or need new lines?
Might leave it for next round of upgrades.
No they won't mix, but if you flush the system thoroughly with denatured alcohol / methylated spirit then it is fine to swap to DOT 5. Only time it is not adviseable is if the bike has ABS. That's the reason they switched to DOT4, Dot 5 airates with ABS so not good.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally I went the cheap way and just bought primer and spray cans. The colour isn't perfect, I thought it was satin black and the paint shop guy told me to use just paint with clear, but the end product is way dimmer than stock. Is there any problem not applying clear?
Still I think I will only paint damaged parts, not enough of a difference to justify all the prep work, plus an ocassion to get over my OCD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts