Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to painting up my "Wicked" airbox cover and at the same time repainting the fenders to get rid of the crappy racing stripe. I called a local shop about spraying them satin black and he said its a pain int he ass, he can't guarantee they'll come out perfect, and the maintenance is a bitch. He suggested I try spray cans.

I ended up choosing VHT Epoxy Satin Black but first putting down an etching primer after sanding out any imperfections in the paint and wiping it with acetone. After it dried, I sanded the primer with 600 grit and started spraying on the black. I have a couple of drips that I'm waiting to sand out and respray but so far so good. It's going on very nicely and the color is a little shinier than Harley's denim black. I do have a dust problem in my garage though, Im going to have to cordon off an are and sand the dust out and put one final coat on to have a perfect look.

Now I'm waiting for it to dry before I sand out the drips and finish but the overall cost of the job was about 25 bucks for everything. I used 2 cans of black paint and only one can of primer. I'll post pictures when it's finished and bolted on.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
I finally got around to painting up my "Wicked" airbox cover and at the same time repainting the fenders to get rid of the crappy racing stripe. I called a local shop about spraying them satin black and he said its a pain int he ass, he can't guarantee they'll come out perfect, and the maintenance is a bitch. He suggested I try spray cans.

I ended up choosing VHT Epoxy Satin Black but first putting down an etching primer after sanding out any imperfections in the paint and wiping it with acetone. After it dried, I sanded the primer with 600 grit and started spraying on the black. I have a couple of drips that I'm waiting to sand out and respray but so far so good. It's going on very nicely and the color is a little shinier than Harley's denim black. I do have a dust problem in my garage though, Im going to have to cordon off an are and sand the dust out and put one final coat on to have a perfect look.

Now I'm waiting for it to dry before I sand out the drips and finish but the overall cost of the job was about 25 bucks for everything. I used 2 cans of black paint and only one can of primer. I'll post pictures when it's finished and bolted on.
Top Tip - get one of those garden sprayers and spray the air in the garage with water to take the dust down.
If its a concrete floor spray that as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They originally came out AWESOME and then when I went to sand out the imperfections and respray, the paint crackled and wrinkled. I called VHT/Duplicolor and they said it's from the paint not curing enough. I'm getting them sandblasted and ready for paint and I'm going to use the same paint again because I loved the look and the ability to touch it up myself.

Lesson learned: Make sure to let epoxy paint cure extra long and in the right temperature and humidity conditions before sanding, especially with a thick coat of paint. It releases fumes after sanding if it isn't completely cured.

Pictures to follow...

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
The drips and runs came from too heavy with the paint. Lighter coats please. Don't sand for a week after final spraying. Paint has to "cure" , what happens is the paint skins over and traps the solvents and these solvents take a long time to bleed through the skinned over layer.

I got a great finish on my Triumph with spray cans. It can be done.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
I have seen excelent quality work with canned paint, Some of todays paint can paint is
good stuff.
Proper curing is a must,

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:worthless:
When they get back from the shop...

Do the stripes come right off or do they need to be sanded down?
You've got to sand everything down and rough it up. The stripes are slightly higher than the other coat of paint so you need to smooth it. The stripes are thick as hell though and you couldn't THINK of getting them all the way off.

OUCH! Hey that's move for the air-cooled gang. The V is worthy of more than a cheap rattle can job.
Really - straight color paint is reasonable.
I was looking for a painter but I was told by a couple that satin black is an "open coat" and will stain easily. Also it cannot be touched up like other paint or obviously buffed. I was told by a highly regarded custom painter to go with rattle cans.

The only reason I'm getting it professionally blasted and primed now and not painted is so I still have the ability to fix it instead of paying another $400-$500 for another paint job.

I may eat my words but look for pictures in the coming weeks.

·
Rollin' On Down
237 Posts
I just had my airbox cover powder coated. The flat black the company used matches the denim perfectly and the finish is much more durable than paint. It cost me $45.

I have re-do the stripes (most likely vinyl wrap), but it's not really an issue since the cover came out so well.

Edit: I see now that the "wicked" airbox cover is fiberglas so I guess you can ignore my post :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just had my airbox cover powder coated. The flat black the company used matches the denim perfectly and the finish is much more durable than paint. It cost me $45.

I have re-do the stripes (most likely vinyl wrap), but it's not really an issue since the cover came out so well.

Edit: I see now that the "wicked" airbox cover is fiberglas so I guess you can ignore my post :(
Yeah I would have much preferred powder coating but obviously it's not feasible. I hear there are processes that can powdercoat fiberglass but it's very delicate and expensive and there is a chance you can destroy the fiberglass. Not enough "wickeds" floating around to try it.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts

You got a deal!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts