Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Greg
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a set of Renegade "Venice" wheels, with matching rotors and pulley for my '06 VRSCR (purchased from Hogpro through my HD dealer). Yesterday was install day. The setup looks sweet, the problem is the bike is now unsafe to ride!

Prior to my purchase I expressed my concern to both Hogpro and my dealer about the replacement of the front rotors. I explained I would prefer to have a matching setup, but not at the cost of functionality. Hogpro explained that for me to lose no functionality, I ought to go with the adapters and my stock rotors. However they also said that the matching one-piece rotors would work fine with probably little noticeable loss of function. My dealer was told the same thing in their inquiries. So, I decided to go with the matching rotors.

After the install the tech took the bike for a test ride, and promptly declared the bike unfit to ride! Said there was an incredible amount of pulsing from the front brakes, and said the bike should not be ridden under any circumstance! Attempts to contact Hogpro went unanswered, since it was a Saturday, so the dealer will be following up on Monday. They gave me a ride home in the dealer truck -- not a good Saturday! Seems my only smart decision was making the purchase through my dealer and not directly with Hogpro, as now this will be my dealer's issue to resolve!

Any thoughts? Has anyone that has installed after market rotors experienced similar trouble? Were you able to fix it, short of going with the stock rotors with adapters?

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Hope you get an answer from Hogpro.I have Renegade wheels and thier rotors and have had zero problems.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
One or both of the rotors must be warped. Did the dealer do a runout test on the rotors? I'm sure Jerry will take care of it whatever the problem is. My first set of Weld rotors were warped and had to be replaced. That happens sometimes and really isn't that big a deal.

·
Greg
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. The dealer is going to contact Hogpro tomorrow. So far both Hogpro and the dealer have been great to work with,so I'm confident we will get this resolved. My biggest concern is that I have a 2006 VRSCR (Brembo brake system). I don't know a lot about the mechanics of brake systems, but I believe the Brembo setup differs (floating rotors) from the systems on bikes that are pre 2006 models. Hopefully your experience will prove true with my bike as well, and that I will be able to run the matching rotors.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
wi.st.rod said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. The dealer is going to contact Hogpro tomorrow. So far both Hogpro and the dealer have been great to work with -- reading your responses provides added confidence that the problems will be corrected, and that I will be able to run the matching rotors.

You still need the dealer to do a runout test on the rotors to make sure that is the problem. They should have done that as soon as they noticed the problem.

·
Army spark jockey
3,091 Posts
wow, hope it all works out keep us posted

·
Greg
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update -- dealer and Hogpro concluded the rotors are warped, and Hogpro is overnighting two new rotors. They also recommended replacing the pads. So far both dealer and Hogpro have been very accommodating. Hopefully the new replacement rotors and pads will resolve the issue and the bike will be back on the road shortly.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I think you should have waited till you at least talked to jerry until posting here. If you didnt read down to the last portion of your post you might think Jerrry screwed you.

Jerry has been the best dealer I have EVER dealth with hands down.

·
Greg
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
vesteroid said:
I think you should have waited till you at least talked to jerry until posting here. If you didnt read down to the last portion of your post you might think Jerrry screwed you.

Jerry has been the best dealer I have EVER dealth with hands down.
I didn't make the purchase directly through Jerry (Hogpro) -- I pruchased them through my HD dealer (who happens to be a Hogpro dealer). The bike has now been in the shop for 10 days -- while replacement rotors were overnighted as promised, the holdup has been waiting for Lyndall pads to arrive.

I was looking for feedback from anyone that may have experienced similar problems, replacing the stock floating rotors of the Brembo system with a one piece rotor. I disagree that I was in any way out of line by making this post. I did my research prior to making my purchase, I was told by both Hogpro and my dealer that there would be NO problems with the installation. I laid out a lot of $$$, and following the installation my bike was deemed unsafe to ride and I had to catch a ride home in the service truck! My concern was that these rotors weren't going to work, and so I asked if they would. Besides, in my second post I clearly stated that both the dealer and Hogpro were great to work with -- a statement I made before we even reached resolution!

Seemingly, per the responses I received, installing another new set of rotors that aren't warped will prove to fix the situation and my bike will be able to run the Renegade rotors. Hopefully the bike will be back together tomorrow, with the replacement rotors and new pads as well, and hopefully it will be ready to ride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Another cudo for Jerry and Hogpro. The matching rotors were over 2yrs old
on my Bike before they warped. I called Jerry at Hogpro and he sent me out a new set at his cost.
They are one of the best dealers I have ever dealt with. Next will be a 240
kit and they will be the ones to get my business.

·
Jeff
1,306 Posts
Your bike is at Ukes right? I thought i saw it in the Service dept?

·
Greg
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GordoJ52 said:
Your bike is at Ukes right? I thought i saw it in the Service dept?
That is my bike. They called yesterday and the work is completed. I pick it up tonight. As I said in an earlier post, both the dealer (Uke's) and Hogpro have been great to work with. I'm disappointed I was without the bike for nearly 2 weeks, but stuff happens. Hopefully now everything is right -- I'll post how the bike handles later tonight (new wheels, rotors, pads, pulley, and Metzelers (200 on the rear).

·
Greg
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bike is back!

I picked up my bike last night. The new wheels, rotors, and pulley with the Metzelers looks sweet.

As for performance, there is definitely a loss in braking power as compared to the stock Brembo rotors, but not to the point where I found it troublesome from speeds of 60 mph. There is also some pulsation from the front brakes. I've only been able to put about 50 miles on it, so I plan on riding a couple hundred this weekend to see just how pronounced it is (especially from speeds above 60mph). So far, the pulsating is noticeable when stopping from a higher speed (60 mph down to about 30mph). When rolling at slow speed (below around 25mph) the pulsating isn't noticeable at all. The pads were replaced with Lyndall Gold PLus -- Lyndall tells me these pads don't require break-in, so I don't think what I feel is due to the new pads. I also didn't notice any handling difference worth mentioning with the 200 rear Metz.

What have I learned? If I were to do it again, I'd buy a 5 spoke wheel that would match the 5-spoke stock rotor (instead of a 6-spoke wheel), and I'd keep the stock rotor setup. After this weekend's riding, dependent on the level of pulsation, I'll be following up with the dealer. As long as they can assure me there is no safety issue, I can live with them. If my current setup is what can be expected from swapping the floating rotors with one-piece rotors, my advice to others is stick with the stock ones.

I will be posting some pics.

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
wi.st.rod said:
I picked up my bike last night. The new wheels, rotors, and pulley with the Metzelers looks sweet.

As for performance, there is definitely a loss in braking power as compared to the stock Brembo rotors, but not to the point where I found it troublesome from speeds of 60 mph. There is also some pulsation from the front brakes. I've only been able to put about 50 miles on it, so I plan on riding a couple hundred this weekend to see just how pronounced it is (especially from speeds above 60mph). So far, the pulsating is noticeable when stopping from a higher speed (60 mph down to about 30mph). When rolling at slow speed (below around 25mph) the pulsating isn't noticeable at all. The pads were replaced with Lyndall Gold PLus -- Lyndall tells me these pads don't require break-in, so I don't think what I feel is due to the new pads. I also didn't notice any handling difference worth mentioning with the 200 rear Metz.

What have I learned? If I were to do it again, I'd buy a 5 spoke wheel that would match the 5-spoke stock rotor (instead of a 6-spoke wheel), and I'd keep the stock rotor setup. After this weekend's riding, dependent on the level of pulsation, I'll be following up with the dealer. As long as they can assure me there is no safety issue, I can live with them. If my current setup is what can be expected from swapping the floating rotors with one-piece rotors, my advise to others is stick with the stock ones.

I will be posting some pics.
Regardless of what LRB says, you should be breaking in all the new parts carefully.

Even a new tire should not be used with maximum power or hard cornering and not over 60 mph for the first 100-150 miles. This is needed to allow the tire/rim assembly to adjust properly and most of all to let the compound find its optimum working conditions.

If you are not satisfied with the rotor performance after break in we will send you a set of front adaptors so you can run your stock floaters, and refund you for the rotors when they are returned.

Jerry @ Hogpro

·
Jeff
1,306 Posts
I want to see pics

·
Greg
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GordoJ52 said:
I want to see pics
Pics! I've added a few other pictures to my gallery.

Attachments

·
Registered
964 Posts
man I love those wheels. I almost bought a set. I went a differnt route however.

My second favorite but not for a dx

also whats that lower slider on the forks....or is that an entire new front end>

1 - 20 of 20 Posts