Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for all of you that has removed the rear wheel.
I just bought a Metzeler ME880 260 to replace the stock Michelin Scorcher 11. I called HD so see if they could install it, but couldn't because I didn't by the tire from them. I called another place and they said they could do it, but it would cost me $180. Thats drive the bike up and the remove the tire, swap it out and install the wheel. I don't really know if that's a good price or not. I have still a few places to call and get a price on Tues when they are open.

So my question is, If I decide to remove the tire myself, how much of a pain is it? do you have any pointers? I have done some searching and found a old thread that talks about this back in 2004 and 2012 and there was a 5 part video showing how to do this by RSC.

One other question is how do you align the back tire when you get it back on? Is this taken care of by the Rear axle adjuster?

I do have the owner's manual. so that does help.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I have a question for all of you that has removed the rear wheel.
I just bought a Metzeler ME880 260 to replace the stock Michelin Scorcher 11. I called HD so see if they could install it, but couldn't because I didn't by the tire from them. I called another place and they said they could do it, but it would cost me $180. Thats drive the bike up and the remove the tire, swap it out and install the wheel. I don't really know if that's a good price or not. I have still a few places to call and get a price on Tues when they are open.

So my question is, If I decide to remove the tire myself, how much of a pain is it? do you have any pointers? I have done some searching and found a old thread that talks about this back in 2004 and 2012 and there was a 5 part video showing how to do this by RSC.

One other question is how do you align the back tire when you get it back on? Is this taken care of by the Rear axle adjuster?

I do have the owner's manual. so that does help.
I usually go to a car tire shop,remove the wheel myself at home and they put the tire on for 18€.
I order my tires online

·
F2NV
1,780 Posts
So the front tire is fairly easy. The back tire is a pain. If you have the the time, tools and skill, pull the back tire yourself. Call around to the Honda and Yamaha shops as they usually mount the tire fairly inexpensive. The videos from RSC really help. Good luck with it.

You may find the $180 is worth it but I'd say try it yourself first.

·
VRSC est -03
2,892 Posts
Do not mix the spacers, read the manual, no problem. Yes, rear axle adjusters will align the wheel.

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
Your service manual details all that needs to be done. It takes some time but is not complicated. No special tools needed but sockets and wrenches etc. I believe you will need a 36MM?? socket to remove the axle nut but check your manual for fit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just did the same thing back before Christmas. HD wanted $550 for a new 260 installed. Bought the tire online for $180 shipped, and a local bike shop mounted and balanced it for $30.

If you're just taking the tire off/on it's simple. Just make sure you mark where the cam tensioner sits on each side, and put it back the way you found it. I found a video on youtube that explained it all. You will of course need a bike jack and a torque wrench.

·
Registered
72 Posts
HD uses shitty or no grease on the rear axle at initial asembly. My rear axle was gaulded to the bearings and spacer and I ended up trashing the bearings getting the axle out. My rear tire change cost me a set of bearings also. Be advised that if the axle doesnt want to come out this is why. Fortunately, I wrench on all of my bikes and anticipated this ahead of time but it was stupid nonetheless. The process is simple, if everything comes apart properly. If you arent much of a wrench and the axle is stuck put it back together and pay someone to do it. It doenst take much to chew up the aluminum swingarm or wheels and cause yourself more problems.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks very much to everyone that replied and answer questions and gave some extra things to think about. I feel much better about doing it.

DurtyD, I'll keep that in mind when I go to take the axle off.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when taking the wheel in to have the tire removed and the new one installed. Do you remove the brake disk and sprocket?

·
VRSCF
1,285 Posts
the brake disc stays on, the pulley pulls off from the compensator bowl

Its easy to do by following the instructions in the manual. The tricky bit is managing the weight of the wheel/tyre. its easier if you have a lift and jack and/or help of someone else

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
I always leave them both on. I always use a flat bed jack to remove the wheel.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I removed the rear wheel and got the Metzeler ME880 260 installed on the rim and reinstalled the wheel today! all by myself...well mostly. I needed a hand to get the axle bolt torqued to 150 lbs.
Thanks everyone for all your comments and input. Every bit helps and it helped me do a successful wheel install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did the same thing back before Christmas. HD wanted $550 for a new 260 installed. Bought the tire online for $180 shipped, and a local bike shop mounted and balanced it for $30.

If you're just taking the tire off/on it's simple. Just make sure you mark where the cam tensioner sits on each side, and put it back the way you found it. I found a video on youtube that explained it all. You will of course need a bike jack and a torque wrench.
Where/what website did you purchase your tire? My husband just bought a 2004 Vrod and is wanting to go from the 180 to 240 at least.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts