Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any safety or legal reason I can not permanently remove my belt guards?

I see customs with no guards over the chain and open primarys so I cant imagine why I cant on this bike...but wanted to tap the knowledge base here first.

·
Lifetime Member
5,212 Posts
THe only drawback that I have heard is if a rock gets between the belt and the pulley it could cut it.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
look thru the gallery and you'll see many of the forum members with no bottom gaurd and also many with no gaurds what so ever.

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
I got rid of the bottom guard shortly after I got the bike. The dealer service tech threw a fit about it for safety reasons, so I asked him if safety is such a big concern, why is it made of plastic? I have since put a chrome set on though.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
If you have a new bike and its under warranty and you take it in because the belt and or pulley has premature wear , be sure to put the belt guards back on. They will deny you any warranty coverage for those parts if the guards are not in place.

·
The Hawk
3,895 Posts
If you go to the drag strip they will require an upper belt guard for safety.

Mike

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool thanks guys...coming off this weekend.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
LIUNARep said:
THe only drawback that I have heard is if a rock gets between the belt and the pulley it could cut it.
+1 I have seen it happen before, 1 time a rock popped a hole through the center of the belt and about 200 miles later the belt broke completely. Another time I seen it happen it just broke the belt immediately. Just try to stay away from gravel if you take the bottom guard off.

·
found my old avatar
1,200 Posts
mine were taken off when I went to a cfr seat and removed the passenger pegs. Much cleaner, open look. I ride on a lot of crappy gravel roads and have concerns about pebbles working their way between belt and pulley. Time will tell, I guess. If I was on asphalt exclusively, I don't think it would be an issue.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
NJ requires that you run an upper guard. Fight the power!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Post some pictures once you remove it. I would like to see it.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
i had my belt gaurds off of my bike after my Rick's tank install (just didn't get them back on in my hurry to finish) and within the week i had an issue. now, i don't know what caused the belt to fail exactly, it looked pretty worn as it had cracks all throughout it. that's not the point of my post

The issue was that when it snapped, shifting into 3rd gear, it came up and whipped the living #$%# out of my back and left a real nice mark. personally, i'd keep the top belt gaurd on so that you could avoid having this happen to you or (even worse) a lady friend passenger.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
V-Kit said:
i had my belt gaurds off of my bike after my Rick's tank install (just didn't get them back on in my hurry to finish) and within the week i had an issue. now, i don't know what caused the belt to fail exactly, it looked pretty worn as it had cracks all throughout it. that's not the point of my post

The issue was that when it snapped, shifting into 3rd gear, it came up and whipped the living #$%# out of my back and left a real nice mark. personally, i'd keep the top belt gaurd on so that you could avoid having this happen to you or (even worse) a lady friend passenger.
Good Point!

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
vesteroid said:
is there any safety or legal reason I can not permanently remove my belt guards?

I see customs with no guards over the chain and open primarys so I cant imagine why I cant on this bike...but wanted to tap the knowledge base here first.

When you say legal...you really should check your local laws. Don't go by what you hear someone say they "think" or what other people did. If the law is a concern to you, do the check on your own and check what applies to you and where you will be riding.

As far as safety....it's a motorcycle. They are not safe to begin with. But where do you draw the line? If you do things properly and others around you do as well, then they are safe, right?

If you have a kid on the back, they could easily get hurt on an unprotected belt. If you and your passanger know better, then you are alright. The belt guard protects someone form forgetting that it is not there...it does the worrying and thinking for you. Debris could also cause damage.

If the belt breaks (possible but not likely) the belt guard may stop it from tearing a nice hole in your leg...

If it is only cosmetic, then everyone has their own opinion on what looks good. Try just cutting off the last 6 inches of the guard. The rounded extra behind the shock....I think that exposes the pulley and looks much better. Try trimming some of the front to minimize the excess material. You will improve the look and keep the safety in place.

Then strip the paint and polish it. 100% improvement all for free!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for all the post...I have a dx so I dont think I will polish it but I might trim it and get it painted gloss to match the swingarm.

·
Chief
1,272 Posts
I've actually experienced a new belt breaking with just a couple hundred miles on it. Switched to the 28 tooth front and thought I would try a launch against a rice cage. Less than 50 feet the bike lost all power and the belt flew over my buddies head. That was with the guards on, can't imagine what might have happened without them. Took the belt to the stealer, first question, did you remove your guards? they said the same thing about a rock getting in there and cutting the belt, except the cut was perfectly straight. They replaced the belt no problem. Little off subject, do what your comfortable with.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts