Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the gasket on the Alternator cover. Harley says that I have to use their tool. To buy of course. It seems like two people could seperate the stator from the magnet safely. Has anyone done this and can you give me a suggestion as to how to do it safely especially when putting the cover back on. Don't want to snap any fingers off because of the magnet.

Mike

·
Registered
40 Posts
Man,

I replaced two gaskets trying to seal an oil leak at the generator cover and then gave up and brought it into the dealer. Turns out the cover wasn't flat and wouldn't seal.

good luck,
Paul in MI

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I made my own tool and removed it. It looks crude but did the trick without mishap. I knew that old cupboard handle would come in handy for something.

Attachments

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Manhorse it sounds as though a how to is in order for this since you already have some pics I,m sure it is.

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I now know why there is a precaution in the manual on putting the alt cover back on. The magnet sucked the cover in like a shark on a feeding frenzy. If anyone thinks they can shortcut this by not using the suggested tool, don't. You will be minus a few fingernails.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Is the special tool they say you need just to pull and install the cover, so you dont pintch your fingers. Or does it have another function? Looks pretty easy to build!

Thanks

AJ

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its just to pull the cover off and more importantly....to put it back on without damaging any body parts. IT is very easy to make. Cabnet door handle, piece of plywood and two 6mm screws.

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Did you have to replace the oil when removing the alt cover? I am asking because I had the gaskets replaced on my V-Rod at the dealer (under warranty) and I asked them to change the oil too since it was near the 5K mileage mark. One guy said the oil had to be changed anyway, so I had them upgrade to Synthetic Oil and when I called to see what I owed they charged me for a full syn oil change and not just the difference because they said the oil isn't changed with that warranty work.

Thanks for your input.

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No you dont have to replace the oil but there will be a bit that flows out when the cover is removed and since you check your oil before every ride there wont be any low oil problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts