Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
so if I understand some topics of this forum well, the v-modding simply means the removal of the inner baffles. Is this correct?

If I do that, won't the sound be too loud? I mean, I still want to be able to go home after ten.
And, if I remove the inner baffles, do I have to use the v-mod maps for my powercomander?

Thx

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,089 Posts
Real v-modding is done by www.V-MOD.com

There are variations which include just drilling additional holes around the back of the exhaust up to the extreme you describe of removing the baffles. I wouldn't recommend trashing a set of pipes to do that unless you have a money tree out back. :)

Changing the exhaust should also be done in conjunction with a hi-flow air filter and an update map for your fuel management system.

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
I found a cheap stock take-off exhaust on eBay before I removed my baffles. They are pretty loud if you're wearing a full-face helmet (acts like an echo chamber), but I don't think they're TOO loud. I think they're just about perfect... but then again, I'm weird and actually like the way my stock pipes look....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
removing inner baffles

Hi,
is the procedure for removing the inner baffles out of a stock exhaust for a 06 nightrod a bit the same as shown in the "how-to-v-mod-your-exhaust" presentation earlier posted on one of these fora?

Because I saw a lot of pics of v-modding for the V-rod, nothing for the nightrod or streetrod.

But I presume that the exhaust system is very similar to the V-rod, so removing the inner baffles shouldn't really pose any problems.

Thx for the replies

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question on self modding my exhaust

Hi,
is the procedure for removing the inner baffles out of a stock exhaust for a 06 nightrod a bit the same as shown in the "how-to-v-mod-your-exhaust" presentation earlier posted on one of these fora?

Because I saw a lot of pics of v-modding for the V-rod, nothing for the nightrod or streetrod.

But I presume that the exhaust system is very similar to the V-rod, so removing the inner baffles shouldn't really pose any problems.

Thx for the replies

·
Darren
2,007 Posts
It is actually easier on the D/DX. You don't have to remove the cans. All you have to do is get a hole saw that will fit over the baffle. 3 inches if memory serves me. Get a dowel rod that will fit just inside the hole in the end of the exhaust. Run the drill bit into the dowel so that it keeps the hole saw centered. Insert the dowel into the hole in the can and cut until you break through. Once you have cut through the can with the hole saw, you can pull them right out.

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
ddavis said:
It is actually easier on the D/DX. You don't have to remove the cans. All you have to do is get a hole saw that will fit over the baffle. 3 inches if memory serves me. Get a dowel rod that will fit just inside the hole in the end of the exhaust. Run the drill bit into the dowel so that it keeps the hole saw centered. Insert the dowel into the hole in the can and cut until you break through. Once you have cut through the can with the hole saw, you can pull them right out.
:them: One of mine did get a little hung up inside the can when I went to pull it out. If that happens, be patient - don't start yanking on it and create an exhaust leak (no, I didn't do it). They will come out with very little effort...

·
Registered
15 Posts
SE 16Ga Modded...

I put the SE 16Ga on my 04 BlackBee, with the H-D/SE flash for those pipes.
In the documentation for the flash, it stated that you could run topless.
Hmmm. Put the K&N on it, still kinda rich. Noticably rich. Hmmm.
Pulled out the baffles and removed the fiberglass batting. Better, but my girlfriend's braid still smelled like 93 octane. Hmmm. Looked at the plugs,
still a bit rich. Pulled the baffles out again, and dremeled the screen for the batting off, leaving me with just the inner part of the baffle. Ran good,
but nose, plugs, and a finger up the ol' pipe told me I was still rich. And her braid still smelled like a Sunoco scratch-n-sniff ad. Hmmm. Pulled them again,
and dremeled the center part of the baffle pipe out, leaving just the cone.
I've put about 2500 on her since then, just a little stutter when she's good and cold, like 50 degrees, goes away as soon as she warms up. Plugs look
fine, goes like she was on the bobsled to hell. Buddy has an "A"-rod with a CFR & Race Tuner, does 115hp on the dyno, and I stay right with him.
Still a little rich at idle. Kinda loud, but not rudely so, unless you're trying.
Not as loud as a Drag Pipe Shovel, but louder than a CFR. And it definately
sounds like a Harley, at least until you get past 6000 rpm @ WOT.
Then it sounds like nothing else on earth. Beautiful!

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
roadster78 said:
Hi,

Thx for the replies
Though I have not personally done this.. the night rod I believe is easier as the inner baffel is not welded to the rear of the outer shell... So.. in a nut shell.. its a yes... Personally... drill the holes and see if that is loud enough for you.. I will be honest.. at this point my drilled holes are not loud enough... I will try bigger holes..

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
roadster78 said:
Hi,

Thx for the replies
Here's a couple links specific to the nightrod.
Click this link. It is MUCH easier on the StreetRods/NightRods than on the V-Rod sweeper pipes.

Click this link too. You can get away with a smaller hole saw if you didn't previously drill the pipes.

RJ

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I have V-mods on both my bikes and they are loud.I use the PC on the 03 and the RT on the 07 for tuning.

There is a thread on the second page of How To,it shows and tells how to "V-Mod" your own pipes.It still costs around $60 for the tools + the pipes but it's pretty simple.I just did a set and destroyed a new low power electric drill,so ya better have a good powerful drill.I finished mine w a 1/2 inch air drill.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I merged your three threads asking the same question. It makes it easier for future searches if you only post one thread for any given question.

Thanks for your understanding.

RJ

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no, problem on the merging thing,
I was afraid that there would be less response on my thread here. Because I needed the info right away, I am doing them this weekend, so...

But I see my fears were misplaced, because the replies I get are more than satisfying.

I say thank you, but I doubt my neighbours here in Belgium will say the same...
Will be posting pics and sound files after I get back from my holiday to Egypt the 1st of september.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just removed baffles

I removed the inner baffles this weekend, installed the Powercommander, and added the Amsoil Air filter... It took me all of 2 hours and I don't know what the hell I'm doing when it comes to that stuff. This forum really helped with that. I'm using the Kanga map (suggested by a few people on here).

I haven't run through a full tank of gas yet, but just from riding the past couple days, it seems like I lost a LOT of fuel economy. I'm talking like from 35 mpg down to about 18 mpg. Should I have expected that?

The exhaust is also a LOT louder than I had anticipated. I knew it would be loud, but my god... when you roll on the throttle, it's insane. Maybe it's the full face hat I wear acting like an eco chamber like people said.

I'm on the fence if I'm going to keep the pipes as is or put my "extra" set with the baffles back on the bike. We'll see if I get used to them...

Again, thanks for everyone's help here on the forum.

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
18mpg? No, that's not to be expected. 30, maybe...at least that seems to be what I'm getting now that the temps have dropped here.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
My pipes are annoying with a full face helmet, it just reverberates in the helmet.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
xVRSCRx said:
I removed the inner baffles this weekend, installed the Powercommander, and added the Amsoil Air filter... It took me all of 2 hours and I don't know what the hell I'm doing when it comes to that stuff. This forum really helped with that. I'm using the Kanga map (suggested by a few people on here).

I haven't run through a full tank of gas yet, but just from riding the past couple days, it seems like I lost a LOT of fuel economy. I'm talking like from 35 mpg down to about 18 mpg. Should I have expected that?

The exhaust is also a LOT louder than I had anticipated. I knew it would be loud, but my god... when you roll on the throttle, it's insane. Maybe it's the full face hat I wear acting like an eco chamber like people said.

I'm on the fence if I'm going to keep the pipes as is or put my "extra" set with the baffles back on the bike. We'll see if I get used to them...

Again, thanks for everyone's help here on the forum.
Big_Red said:
18mpg? No, that's not to be expected. 30, maybe...at least that seems to be what I'm getting now that the temps have dropped here.
If you stay out of the throttle, you will notice that the bike will get about 35-40mpg cruising at 4000-4500 rpm all day long. When you get above this RPM at cruise, you will loose alot of your fuel economy.

RJ

1 - 20 of 22 Posts