Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
09 vrscf
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is work in progress... I am making a removeable backrest and luggage rack for my bike. So far I have bought some side plates (I think they went to a softtail), luggage rack and passenger pad from ebay and made some brackets to hold them that mount under the rear fender. The input I need is this:
1. Do the stock sideplates look big or mishaped for the rear end?
The most important part of the plates is the hardware that allows them to be mounted (latch assembly). I can remove them and make new plates that could be curved a bit to match lines of the fender.
Everything will be painted or powder coated when done!!!

Attachments

·
09 vrscf
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Damn my camera sucks lol or maybe I just got too close...Didn't help taking pictures in garage at night either (low lighting).

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
The brackets you made for the side plates look great in my opinion. If you powdercoat them black they will blend with the tire and not even be noticable.

The side plates however I think need to be reworked. The pieces you have definately look as though they do not belong. Try some variations with cardboard and see if there is something you could come up with using the available stock of the ones you have that would maybe follow the curve of the rear fender.

·
09 vrscf
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree the stock brackets look out of place. I do plan on powder coating everthing when I'm done. Been fooling around with shape a bit today. Problem is no matter what shape I come up with it just does not look clean like the bike does. Maybe that is why HD has not come out with a removeable bar and rack yet....

Here is another attempt a design... I'll just use the hardware off the stock one and then sell the plates on ebay. I have 1/8 inch steel so it easy to cut one out...The radius is the same as the bottom of the rear fender.

LOL and I thought the sissy bar was gonna be the tough part...Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is work in progress... I am making a removeable backrest and luggage rack for my bike. So far I have bought some side plates (I think they went to a softtail), luggage rack and passenger pad from ebay and made some brackets to hold them that mount under the rear fender.

What gauge stock did you use for the brackets?
What are the mounting points?

Thanks

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Great idea.

·
09 vrscf
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I started over...

Sorry this job has taken me all summer. I started over and decided not to go with the side plates they looked to big and gaudy to me. I had a piece of 7/16 (thought it was 1/2 when I rolled it) square stock shaped into my radius also and it looked too small on the back of the bike also. So took me some time to find a place that could roll 3/4 square stock for me. I'll post up some new pics tonight after my kids go to bed. I think this new idea looks much better. It will be a bit more permanent (will take four bolts to remove it). But will be much better looking I think. It will bolt on where the reflectors are below the seat. I could use some info. on the arnotts also. How tall it the crown or top of the shock where it bolts onto the frame. I want to get these when all is said and done and want to make sure I leave enough clearance for them. If they are about the same as the stock ones or not much taller at the top I should be fine with my new effort. Pics this evening...

·
09 vrscf
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
some pics! The radius is 2'. I cut out a cardboard template and it matched almost perfectly with a 55 gal. drum.
I will probably dress the corner butt/seam with a piece of stainless to match the bike after I get the thing welded and powder coated. I think this backrest will server to as a good place to hold on and a butt stop is all. I have decided not to attach a luggage rack simply based on looks.

Attachments

·
09 vrscf
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what about this?
That could work also. I had actually debated a second mounting point for rigidity. But...
I think just the one mounting location will work though. It is a pretty solid mounting point on the frame and the rack is being made of 3/4 square stock so I don't think there will be a problem with flex. I just need to get off my lazy duff and finish it. I need to buy a torpedo heater for my garage lol. It is unusually cold for this time of year here in Kentucky...

·
Southern Cross
25 Posts
Muscle

That looks great guys.
On another note, KYMuscle we are running the same setup and i am in need of a PCV map, any chance you posting yours?
thank you in advance.

Phill

·
Registered
11 Posts
Removable seat back picture is coming

I have made a set up that you can't see from any angle and doesn't change the factory look in anyway shape or form. I'll take a picture and if anyone wants a set up let me know. Many different sissy bar styles, the one I have finished is going to be in the picture. I haven't set a price yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry didn't mean to highjack

Just looking through some of the ideas on here for quick release seat backs. All of the ideas I've seen are good ideas and close but need some help. Not meaning to sound cocky in anyway. I'm waiting on my Patent for the design. I used the factory seat pad in the mock up just to show people what Harley could have done. Keep in mind when you see the frame work of the bar that you aren't limited to that one only. I'm open to custom visible design below the pad and pad sizes. But I can make the one in the picture I will be sending but you will have to provide that seat back before I can make the rest of it, because of legal issues and selling a Harley pad mixed with my design. Try to get the picture on here tomorrow evening

·
09 vrscf
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome to the forum...
Its all good. We need alot of input and ideas to finally get what we want and need to make our bikes not only ride good but, also to look good with one-off projects. I have changed that backrest now 4 times since I started the project this past summer. Between work,family and now the weather I am not having much luck at finishing it...In due time I will though...
Life is good and will be even better in another 3 months with good weather...Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quick release seat back

Without to much detail this is finished position. I cant give to much away, sorry. I'm trying to make something off of this idea. I haven't made a set price yet. I'm willing to talk details with anyone whose interested over the phone. Please send me your number if you would like to know more

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ha

Not trying to be a tease just kinda testing the waters. I hope everyone that sees this picture knows I'm not claiming the top half of the V. I mated the factory pad with my design. I can make any shape,size, of the pad and visible bar. I can mate the factory pad with the bracket with no problem but you would have to purchase the seat back first. If you have drawings of the pad you want, with the sizes also. But remember the more custom the design the more expensive. I'll post another picture. Trying to get pricing together this weekend.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts