Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have spent some money on the HD chrome belt guards, I am thinking I like the look of the bike w/o any belt guards. Can anyone provide insight into safety or other potential risks of running w/o belt guards? Maybe lose lower, but keep upper?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Lot's of people run without the guards, or maybe just a Rizoma upper.

There are differing opinions on whether or not you should have a lower on to keep gravel, etc. out of the belt.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just the usual risk of stone damage. Also, there is a risk of getting clothing caught in the belt, ie, long coat or similar.
There is some who feel that removing the lower belt guard reduces the risk of trapping stones.
I ride on dirt roads, and have 20 years experience with belts, so I always leave mine on as I have no evidence to want to do otherwise.
I have purchased a "take off" belt from some one who went to 28 tooth front sprocket, so I have a spare now. Either way, the least I've ever got from a belt is 55000 kms.

Best wishes and Merry Christmas.

Ken.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I ride mostly on good roads and don't encounter much debris. I may remove the lower guard and look into getting the Rizoma upper.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Mark,
IF you don't ride with a passenger, remove both or get a Rizoma guard. If you ride with a passenger I would recommend an upper, either the HD or the Rizoma unit. The HD guards, stock or chrome look like crap (IMO).

John

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Always loved this piece. I have one too, very cool look! Your bike looks awesome. Mine is not installed yet. Did you do the install yourself? If so, was it difficult? Seems easy. To me dirt roads are kind of optional but would be much more comfortable if I could just get to off roading place on the Rod if riding it in first place.
If you installed yourself, did you do the upper with the lower in place or did you uninstall both then install Rizoma? I'm thinking it's possible to retain lower and use upper Rizoma. Did you get to look at that setup or have any pre finish pic? I'm afraid it will not really be pleasant to look at. If easy to do I'll try myself but have not even had the chance to look into it, so far it's the most neglected good looking piece I have uninstalled.

The swingarm bolt cover should be on all stock bikes:confused: .

Hopefuly Max will get the time to do the How To on polishing that rear pulley:cool: .

·
Pat's Fan
363 Posts
John,
Do you bring your bike inside your house every night??? Just curious!

As far as the belt guard removal............very easy! Its been a while since i did it but if i remember correctly it should only take about 1/2 hr tops. Basicly just undo the bolts and slide them out of the rubber bushings.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Nope, I lost the lower guard the first week I had the bike. The install of the Rizoma guard is super easy except the lower shock nut is integrated into the stock guard. You will need HD PT #7433M (same nut that's on the exhaust side) to reattach the shock absorber.

And yes, my V-Rod lives in the house. My garage (renting this house as my X got our house) is converted into a huge master bedroom.

John

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
eduarprmd, I agree the swingarm bolt cover and rear axle end covers should stock... Looks like HD just forgot to finish building the bike and shipped it out!

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I'm guessing it is a deep pile carpet

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
LOL I have to hope that my bike does not see how John treats his or she will want to come in the house at night as well. :)

eduarprmd I plan to start the polishing on the stock pulley this weekend. I hope to have a how-to up some time next week. It does require a lot of elbow grease but well worth the work.

Max

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I'm hopin for a Rizoma belt guard under the tree. If it is, I'll take pics.

·
2,552 Posts
Max,

Every V-Rod owner should treat their baby as part of the family.:D Can you think of a better way to do that than let it live in the house with you like John and I do.

Attachments

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Frank I'm afraid if I bring the bike in that both of us will be sleeping in the garage by the weekend. :)

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
I let mine in the house sometimes too, but I make it stay in the basement and off the furniture.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts