Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the orange reflectors from the rear portion of the bike, below the seat (U.S. Spec bike). The paint looks like crap. It is rust color and lacking the black paint. I ordered base coast, touch up paint, and clearcoat from color-rite.

I would like to pull off the reflectors on the front down tubes/suspension. I am afraid that it will look like crap underneath. Has anyone removed them? Will the finish look bad underneath? If so, I will just leave them on.

Thanks

·
____
1,519 Posts
I have been able to successfully remove them with no problems underneath...looks like they were never there. I haven't gone through the link that Pat just threw out so this may be a bit of repetitive info. I heated up the reflectors with a heat gun then used some fishing line to slide underneath the reflectors. Clean up with some adhesive remover and you're good to go.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I removed the reflectors and the forks look great. I used the heat gun and just carefully wiggled them off, didnt even need the fishing line.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I don't have a heat gun.

I'll break out the hair dryer this weekend and pull them off.

I got some gunk/adhesive remover if I need it.

Best Regards

·
Registered
155 Posts
GM makes some really nice gloss black trim pannel snaps to fill in the rear reflector holes. I tried to find the part number on here but I could locate it.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
i just had the dealer remove them before i took delivery. no marks at all.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Removed mine off the front forks of my DX today. Fishing line and gasoline to get the goobies off. Worked great.

Phatass

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O.K.

Well, I just picked up the fishing line and adhesive remover. Will have to hit it tomorrow on my day off from work.

I tried to pull it off with the hair dryer with no luck.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Reflectors removed

The fishing line and hair dryer did not work too well.

The hair dryer we have is not that impressive. I don't use it at all.

I borrowed a neighbors heat gun and they pulled right off in short time. What adhesive that was left behind was easily peeled off after it was heated again. I cleaned up any residue by rubbing it with my fingers.

Front forks looks great.

As for the reflectors I removed from under the seat. I had to sand off the rust in the holes and then used the base coat, paint, and clear coat from color rite to touch it up. Very dissapointed to find that problem. The bike has never been rained on and has been babied.

HD obviously did not cover that part of the metal with anything to prevent corrosion. Poor quality. Not what I am use to from my HD experience. Makes me wonder what will happend to the other holes in the frame for the bolts.

Thanks again for the feedback.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts