Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lip Smack'n Good
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to remove the swing arm and the manual states to shim up the motor so it doesn't fall after removal of the bolt.

How do you shim the motor up? It look's like there is a support plate that maybe can hold a wooden shim. Is this what it is talking about.

Do I even have to shim up the motor?

2005 VRSCA

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
whiskerbiscuits said:
I am about to remove the swing arm and the manual states to shim up the motor so it doesn't fall after removal of the bolt.

How do you shim the motor up? It look's like there is a support plate that maybe can hold a wooden shim. Is this what it is talking about.

Do I even have to shim up the motor?

2005 VRSCA

If you have the bike on a lift like the Craftsman jack it's not necessary since the lift will prevent the motor from dropping. At least I did it that way without any trouble.

·
'04 1300
3,070 Posts
I had mine on the lift, then stuck the swingarm bolt back in for added security after I pulled the swingarm.

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
put the swing arm bolt back in, i tried to move mine a little on the jack after it was all apart and it shifted:banghead: If it does a large drift punch or an old wooden pool que will line things back up.

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
Vrod-Mike said:
If you have the bike on a lift like the Craftsman jack it's not necessary since the lift will prevent the motor from dropping. At least I did it that way without any trouble.
:them: ...done it twice now and no problems either time. So long as it's on a lift like this one mentioned above you have nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Uh oh, I better check it out. I've been moving mine all around with the bolt removed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts