Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
By religious I think you mean Christian since I see no links for our brothers and sisters who are Buddhist or Muslim or even Baha'i

Just cause I am stirring does not mean I am not serious?

·
The City of Angels
644 Posts
Captain GRMC said:
In the book of Revelation, you can find no less than five mentions of a three and half year period [time (1 year), times (2 years) and half a time (total 3 1/2); 42 months; 1260 days - all refer to a one half of the one 'seven']. Now adding all five of them up you'll get seventeen and half years which is considerably longer than just seven.
not sure about anything else, but doesn't 1 x 2 1/2 = 2 1/2 not 3 1/2??

·
Registered
9,048 Posts
Well, yes, one times two and a half is just two and a half, but in the non-scientific way of conveying time; the ancient author who was born, lived and died long before our Renaissance in a completely different culture and in another land with another language is just adding.

1 + 2 + 1/2 = 3 1/2.

1 - time.
2 - times.
1/2 - half a time.

Total: 3 1/2 years.

(And just to confuse things more, prophetic years are only 360 days long!)

What? You thought eschatology was simple? :D

·
insane vrod posse...
2,018 Posts
More prayers for Jeannie and Max. :angelwin:

·
Retired from GGB
301 Posts
We can all believe what we want to believe but somewhere is absolute truth. Like the laws of physics. My personel feelings are that The Holy Bible is the Word of God and Jesus is the creator stated in the first chapter of John. That being said, The Bible was written so not everyone can understand it. It is perfectly written and only the Lord grants wisdom to understand what he is saying. Revelation is speaking of the churches and of the end times. GGBIW

·
Retired from GGB
301 Posts
It is the Lord that calls his elect home. Nothing a man does grants him salvation.We come into this world with nothing and leave in like manner. John CH6. V 44 GGBIW

·
Retired from GGB
301 Posts
John CH 6 v 65-66. GGBIW

·
Retired from GGB
301 Posts
What does 1 Thessalonians ch 5 verses 1-10 mean? Hoping some members open their bible and comment. GGBIW

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
What it means is that some dude had to spell his name out for his WHOLE bloody life.

Chapter 5

The apostle, having spoken in the end of the foregoing chapter concerning the resurrection, and the second coming of Christ, proceeds to speak concerning the uselessness of enquiring after the particular time of Christ's coming, which would be sudden and terrible to the wicked, but comfortable to the saints (v. 1-5). He then exhorts them to the duties of watchfulness, sobriety, and the exercise of faith, love, and hope, as being suitable to their state (v. 6-10). In the next words he exhorts them to several duties they owed to others, or to one another (v. 11-15), afterwards to several other Christian duties of great importance (v. 16-22), and then concludes this epistle (v. 23-28).

Verses 1-5

In these words observe,

I. The apostle tells the Thessalonians it was needless or useless to enquire about the particular time of Christ's coming: Of the times and seasons you need not that I write unto you, v. 1. The thing is certain that Christ will come, and there is a certain time appointed for his coming; but there was no need that the apostle should write about this, and therefore he had no revelation given him; nor should they or we enquire into this secret, which the Father has reserved in his own power. Of that day and hour knoweth no man. Christ himself did not reveal this while upon earth; it was not in his commission as the great prophet of the church: nor did he reveal this to his apostles; there was no need of this. There are times and seasons for us to do our work in: these it is our duty and interest to know and observe; but the time and season when we must give up our account we know not, nor is it needful that we should know them. Note, There are many things which our vain curiosity desires to know which there is no necessity at all of our knowing, nor would our knowledge of them do us good.

II. He tells them that the coming of Christ would be sudden, and a great surprise to most men, v. 2. And this is what they knew perfectly, or might know, because our Lord himself had so said: In such an hour as you think not, the Son of man cometh, Mt. 24:44. So Mk. 13:35, 36, Watch you therefore, for you know not when the master of the house cometh; lest, coming suddenly, he find you sleeping. And no doubt the apostle had told them, as of the coming of Christ, so also of his coming suddenly, which is the meaning of his coming as a thief in the night, Rev. 16:15. As the thief usually cometh in the dead time of the night, when he is least expected, such a surprise will the day of the Lord be; so sudden and surprising will be his appearance. The knowledge of this will be more useful than to know the exact time, because this should awaken us to stand upon our watch, that we may be ready whenever he cometh.

III. He tells them how terrible Christ's coming would be to the ungodly, v. 3. It will be to their destruction in that day of the Lord. The righteous God will bring ruin upon his and his people's enemies; and this their destruction, as it will be total and final, so, 1. It will be sudden. It will overtake them, and fall upon them, in the midst of their carnal security and jollity, when they say in their hearts, Peace and safety, when they dream of felicity and please themselves with vain amusements of their fancies or their senses, and think not of it,-as travail cometh upon a woman with child, at the set time indeed, but not perhaps just then expected, nor greatly feared. 2. It will be unavoidable destruction too: They shall not escape; they shall in no wise escape. There will be no means possible for them to avoid the terror nor the punishment of that day. There will be no place where the workers of iniquity shall be able to hide themselves, no shelter from the storm, nor shadow from the burning heat that shall consume the wicked.

IV. He tells them how comfortable this day will be to the righteous, v. 4, 5. Here observe, 1. Their character and privilege. They are not in darkness; they are the children of the light, etc. This was the happy condition of the Thessalonians as it is of all true Christians. They were not in a state of sin and ignorance as the heathen world. They were some time darkness, but were made light in the Lord. They were favoured with the divine revelation of things that are unseen and eternal, particularly concerning the coming of Christ, and the consequences thereof. They were the children of the day, for the day-star had risen upon them; yea, the Sun of righteousness had arisen on them with healing under his wings. They were no longer under the darkness of heathenism, nor under the shadows of the law, but under the gospel, which brings life and immortality to light. 2 Tim. 1:10. 2. Their great advantage on this account: that that day should not overtake them as a thief, v. 4. It was at least their own fault if they were surprised by that day. They had fair warning, and sufficient helps to provide against that day, and might hope to stand with comfort and confidence before the Son of man. This would be a time of refreshing to them from the presence of the Lord, who to those that look for him will appear without sin unto their salvation, and will come to them as a friend in the day, not as a thief in the night.

*snuurrrrgh. snufhurghhh, we-we-we-we-. snurrrgh snufhurghhh we-we-we-w-WASIT?! Whobadah! HUH!*

HEY!! You scared the life out of me dammit! Now, where was I?

Oh yeah.

"This would be a time of refreshing to them from the presence of the Lord, who to those that look for him will appear without sin unto their salvation, and will come to them as a friend in the day, not as a thief in the niiiigh.....snuurrrrgh, snufhurghhh, we-we-we-we-. snurrrgh snufhurghhh we-we-we-we....

·
Retired from GGB
301 Posts
Karl Scott said:
What it means is that some dude had to spell his name out for his WHOLE bloody life.

Chapter 5

The apostle, having spoken in the end of the foregoing chapter concerning the resurrection, and the second coming of Christ, proceeds to speak concerning the uselessness of enquiring after the particular time of Christ's coming, which would be sudden and terrible to the wicked, but comfortable to the saints (v. 1-5). He then exhorts them to the duties of watchfulness, sobriety, and the exercise of faith, love, and hope, as being suitable to their state (v. 6-10). In the next words he exhorts them to several duties they owed to others, or to one another (v. 11-15), afterwards to several other Christian duties of great importance (v. 16-22), and then concludes this epistle (v. 23-28).

Verses 1-5

In these words observe,

I. The apostle tells the Thessalonians it was needless or useless to enquire about the particular time of Christ's coming: Of the times and seasons you need not that I write unto you, v. 1. The thing is certain that Christ will come, and there is a certain time appointed for his coming; but there was no need that the apostle should write about this, and therefore he had no revelation given him; nor should they or we enquire into this secret, which the Father has reserved in his own power. Of that day and hour knoweth no man. Christ himself did not reveal this while upon earth; it was not in his commission as the great prophet of the church: nor did he reveal this to his apostles; there was no need of this. There are times and seasons for us to do our work in: these it is our duty and interest to know and observe; but the time and season when we must give up our account we know not, nor is it needful that we should know them. Note, There are many things which our vain curiosity desires to know which there is no necessity at all of our knowing, nor would our knowledge of them do us good.

II. He tells them that the coming of Christ would be sudden, and a great surprise to most men, v. 2. And this is what they knew perfectly, or might know, because our Lord himself had so said: In such an hour as you think not, the Son of man cometh, Mt. 24:44. So Mk. 13:35, 36, Watch you therefore, for you know not when the master of the house cometh; lest, coming suddenly, he find you sleeping. And no doubt the apostle had told them, as of the coming of Christ, so also of his coming suddenly, which is the meaning of his coming as a thief in the night, Rev. 16:15. As the thief usually cometh in the dead time of the night, when he is least expected, such a surprise will the day of the Lord be; so sudden and surprising will be his appearance. The knowledge of this will be more useful than to know the exact time, because this should awaken us to stand upon our watch, that we may be ready whenever he cometh.

III. He tells them how terrible Christ's coming would be to the ungodly, v. 3. It will be to their destruction in that day of the Lord. The righteous God will bring ruin upon his and his people's enemies; and this their destruction, as it will be total and final, so, 1. It will be sudden. It will overtake them, and fall upon them, in the midst of their carnal security and jollity, when they say in their hearts, Peace and safety, when they dream of felicity and please themselves with vain amusements of their fancies or their senses, and think not of it,-as travail cometh upon a woman with child, at the set time indeed, but not perhaps just then expected, nor greatly feared. 2. It will be unavoidable destruction too: They shall not escape; they shall in no wise escape. There will be no means possible for them to avoid the terror nor the punishment of that day. There will be no place where the workers of iniquity shall be able to hide themselves, no shelter from the storm, nor shadow from the burning heat that shall consume the wicked.

IV. He tells them how comfortable this day will be to the righteous, v. 4, 5. Here observe, 1. Their character and privilege. They are not in darkness; they are the children of the light, etc. This was the happy condition of the Thessalonians as it is of all true Christians. They were not in a state of sin and ignorance as the heathen world. They were some time darkness, but were made light in the Lord. They were favoured with the divine revelation of things that are unseen and eternal, particularly concerning the coming of Christ, and the consequences thereof. They were the children of the day, for the day-star had risen upon them; yea, the Sun of righteousness had arisen on them with healing under his wings. They were no longer under the darkness of heathenism, nor under the shadows of the law, but under the gospel, which brings life and immortality to light. 2 Tim. 1:10. 2. Their great advantage on this account: that that day should not overtake them as a thief, v. 4. It was at least their own fault if they were surprised by that day. They had fair warning, and sufficient helps to provide against that day, and might hope to stand with comfort and confidence before the Son of man. This would be a time of refreshing to them from the presence of the Lord, who to those that look for him will appear without sin unto their salvation, and will come to them as a friend in the day, not as a thief in the night.

*snuurrrrgh. snufhurghhh, we-we-we-we-. snurrrgh snufhurghhh we-we-we-w-WASIT?! Whobadah! HUH!*

HEY!! You scared the life out of me dammit! Now, where was I?

Oh yeah.

"This would be a time of refreshing to them from the presence of the Lord, who to those that look for him will appear without sin unto their salvation, and will come to them as a friend in the day, not as a thief in the niiiigh.....snuurrrrgh, snufhurghhh, we-we-we-we-. snurrrgh snufhurghhh we-we-we-we....
Thank you for responding. To me it is saying he will not come as a thief in the night to his elect. They will know just as Noah knew when the Lord was going to destroy the earth by flooding. I also noted that God closed the door of the Ark. Very signifigant in my opinion. GGBIW

·
Retired from GGB
301 Posts
What is the meaning of Ephesians CH.1 verses 3-6? GGBIW

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
This might help:

Ephesians 1:3-6 (New Living Translation)

Spiritual Blessings
3 All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ. 4 Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes. 5 God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure. 6 So we praise God for the glorious grace he has poured out on us who belong to his dear Son.

·
Retired from GGB
301 Posts
That is not what the King James says. But close. Ch 1 verse 4 says According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world that we should be holy and without blame before him in love. 5 says Having Predestined us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will. GGBIW

·
found my old avatar
1,200 Posts
ggbiw said:
We can all believe what we want to believe but somewhere is absolute truth. Like the laws of physics. My personel feelings are that The Holy Bible is the Word of God and Jesus is the creator stated in the first chapter of John. That being said, The Bible was written so not everyone can understand it. It is perfectly written and only the Lord grants wisdom to understand what he is saying. Revelation is speaking of the churches and of the end times. GGBIW

that, my friend, is the kind of attitude that alienates people from the Christian religion. If the bible is the word of God, I'm pretty sure He would want everyone to have an equal shot at understanding it. If you think you have special wisdom, granted by God, to understand it, then I lump you in with the jimmy swaggarts and the jim bakkers of our time who suffered the same delusions.

Sorry, but that kind of crap sickens me.

(oops, is this kind of rant why the religious forum exists?)

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
- I can see through mountains watch me disappear, I can even touch the sky-
Ozzy

·
Retired from GGB
301 Posts
kerryw said:
that, my friend, is the kind of attitude that alienates people from the Christian religion. If the bible is the word of God, I'm pretty sure He would want everyone to have an equal shot at understanding it. If you think you have special wisdom, granted by God, to understand it, then I lump you in with the jimmy swaggarts and the jim bakkers of our time who suffered the same delusions.

I quoted the King James bible. That is not my understanding. Only the Holy Spirit grants understanding. It is written in the bible. it is not my understanding. I am not your friend if the bible sickens you. GGBIW

·
Retired from GGB
301 Posts
santeg said:
- I can see through mountains watch me disappear, I can even touch the sky-
Ozzy
Does religion offend you? GGBIW

·
Retired from GGB
301 Posts
kerryw said:

Opps, is this the kind of rant non believers make? GGBIW

21 - 40 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.